The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
pete29

Builing sub box help

I have two 10" subs and there depth is about 61/4". There each 1200 watt max power. I would like to get them to fit under the seat. I can raise the seat about 1 1/2" or possibly a little more to help make them fit. If any body has any ideas on how to build them, please help. Or if you know of anyone who sells pre-made ones to.
pete29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Kayotic

Re: Builing sub box help

6 1/4" seems deep for 10" subs. I think my 12" subs are 61/4" deep. If you build it with 3/4" MDF you can rout out the back about 3/8" deep. Leave atleast 1/8" clearence behind the magnet.

Take your seat out after you measure. Build a frame with the 3/4" MDF to a height of 5 5/8" (assuming the sub will mount on the surface, giving the extra 3/4"). Scribe each peice to the floor (front back and each side) so that the tops are flat and even at the 5 5/8" height.

What you have is 4 peices in the shape of a tray sitting on the floor. 5 if you divide the enclosure.

Protect the floor with heavy alum-foil or tape or something so resin won't stick And glass away using the floor as the mold on the bottom.

Or you can reduce the height by 3/4" by not using a bottom at all, Build the (tray) to a total height of 6 3/8" (including the top) and silicone it to the floor(don't need much- you may want to remove in the future). This way you are using the floor itself as the bottom saving height. (I have done this to the back wall of the cab, Though not perfect, it did work very well and I got the seat to make one more click to the back.) <- Truckin mag did an article on this many years ago.

Air space is going to be more then enough. You will prob 1.1 cu feet per sub should you decide to divide the box. A sealed box in a small cab will rock.

This is hard to write up in a small space but you are talking my favorite subject. I will try and get this all to make sense as I re-read this.

Last edited by Kayotic; 01-17-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Kayotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
pete29

the 12's that you have, are they under the seat of a 67-72 like mine. Wondering if you had to raise the seat. And so should i make one single long box for both or two seperate boxes with the amp in the middle of them. Also am i suppose to have the subs facing the seat. Trying to figure all this out.
pete29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Kayotic

negative - I do not have any subs installed at this time. I have considered the under seat option but have always stuck with behind the seat. I know there is a commercial box for late model extended cabs.

If you use your cab floor as the bottom then the subs would fire into the seat. In my '04 silverado (behind the seat) they were about 1" away from the seat back.
Facing down would be Ideal but would add to the height atleast 1 1/2". So you would need to fire up to save space. I will run some searches as well and post what I find.

Search for that extended cab model - not what you need but will give a great idea. Also search for 'Fiberglass enclosures' and such. There is a bit of info on the web about this.

I will be manufacturing fiberglass enclosures for behind the seat this spring.
Kayotic is offline   Reply With Quote