The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
redneck_chev

Question ignition question?

Hello again,
I just bought a ignition switch cylinder. I was wondering if somebody could tell me how to take out the old one. Then install the new cylinder. Any and all help will be a great help.
Thanks guys, redneck_chev
Corvette yellow#35 Black W/Red Metal Flake int. looks like Black cherry
Diamond White Pearl /Grille
Jenson CD system
Wooden bed
redneck_chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
dmurphy68

Put you key in the ing and turn it to the acc pos Take a paper clipor something and stick it in the little and it will come out . If you dont have the key i will tell you later on how to get it out

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms
- Thomas Jefferson

Later Darren
http://www.myspace.com/dmurphy68
dmurphy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
redneck_chev

dmurphy68, I tried the paper clip. but when I pushed it in I couldn't turn the key.and I can't turn it to acc. only toward the start position. that might be because the key is wore pretty bad. I can pull the key out of the ign. while the truck is running.If anybody else has an opinion or has run in to this before.
PLEASE HELP THIS LITTLE REDNECK OUT.
Corvette yellow#35 Black W/Red Metal Flake int. looks like Black cherry
Diamond White Pearl /Grille
Jenson CD system
Wooden bed
redneck_chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
dmurphy68

ok here is what I did. I took my ing wires off. Took a pair of vice grips and locked then on the front bezil. reached up under the dash and grabed hold of the ing and started turning. It was hard at first but what it does it pops the crome retainer off the tumbler. then it will unscrew. the problem it ruins your bezil tumbler and you ing. tumbler and ingswitch = 12- 15 bucks. I got my bezil off e-bay for 4 bucks. hope this helps

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms
- Thomas Jefferson

Later Darren
http://www.myspace.com/dmurphy68
dmurphy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
sixnine
Longtime Member

If you shine a bright flashlight on the lock cylinder you can just make out a small pin behind the cylinder face, turn the key to the ACC position, this will line up the small hole with the pin, then use an allen wrench small enough to fit in the hole to depress the pin, while pressing the pin down, turn the key back to the OFF position and pull, the cylinder should slide out. I replaced my ignition switch and lock cylinder about a week ago doing just what I described. Good luck!!!

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:58 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

I think what he's saying is that he can't rotate his ignition switch to accesory. I can't roate mine to accesory either. It won't go!
Old 03-04-2003, 09:16 PM   #7
72c10

if your going to replace it anyway cant you just drill the key hole out so you can turn it any where you need to remove it with out messing up the bessell ?
72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:16 PM   #8
72c10

if your going to replace it anyway cant you just drill the key hole out so you can turn it any where you need to remove it with out messing up the bessell ?
72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
69ChevySB
dropped69

how funny, i just took mine off today, now, how do i put the piece that the key goes in back in the ignition?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:07 PM   #10
Blue Beard

Don't drill anything out.....you may damage the back of the cylinder where it mates with the ignition housing......

You should be able to put the key in the ignition, put a paper clip in the little hole, pressing in on the paper clip pushes a release mechanism. When this is pushed in all the way until no movement is felt, then the key should be slowly turned counter clockwise. The cylinder should release and come out.

If this doesn't work, try putting some liquid graphite in the ignition and letting it work into the internal parts. If there is any build up in the lock of dirt it will help move the cylinder....DON'T USE WD-40 OR OIL BASED PRODUCT...this will only add to your problems......

I was a locksmith for 15 years and this generally works....

Hope this helps.......
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote