The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Security guy

Another truck??

I need your help! A few years ago I had an '87 chevy with the 350/700r4 and the towing package. I traded it off and some other junk for a '72 nova. The truck was probably the best running truck I had. I rebuilt the motor and it all looked factory. I had a 3" drop on it and it handled like a go cart. After I got rid of that truck is when I found my '71. I missed my '87 so much that I'm trying to build my '71 to ride just like it did. The owner now called me asking if I wanted to buy it back for 2,000. He put headers on it and dual exhaust and took off the tbi and put a quadrajet on it. Kinda ruined the originality thing. I don't really need another project, but I loved that truck. Should I get it back and let it sit until my other projects are done, or just let it go?
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Re: Another truck??

GET IT BACK. You cant have too many projects. Go for it.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Security guy

Here's a few pics of it from a couple years ago. What do you think?Name:  '55 007.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  '55 008.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  75.3 KB
Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

since you asked what I (we) thingk...
walk away. it isn't the truck it used to be, all you'll do is cuss the mods the other guy did, and it'll never be the same.
Kinda like if your girl cheated on you for 6 months and you find out... things will NEVER be the same. Any personally, I see it as just another square body.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 01-19-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

and moved to correct forum
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
OARNGESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn man View Post
since you asked what i (we) thingk...
Walk away. It isn't the truck it used to be, all you'll do is cuss the mods the other guy did, and it'll never be the same.
Kinda like if your girl cheated on you for 6 months and you find out... Things will never be the same. Any personally, i see it as just another square body.
i agree with him let it go if you get it back it will never be the same unless there is some other sentimental value you probally wont be as happy with it as you once were
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
chevymotocross

Buy another one and build it just as good or BETTER! I know what you mean about 87 TBI and keeping it original. I have an 87 and I waited out to get one. Even after looking at clean early 80's trucks, I still wanted fuel injection.

I think the carb trucks are easier to get power out of, but with a couple bolt ons, the tbi isn't a bad performer and it gets great fuel economy/drivability.

Anyways, I'd pass since it was molested and turned into a carb.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
Security guy

I'm trying to talk myself out of it. I talked to a friend who see's the truck reguarly, and he mentioned that if it was converted to carb, than he either pulled out the electric fuel pumps (dual tanks) or cut the lines and added a electric low pressure pump. I could probably cuss the guy pretty hard right now. Anyways, I've been looking for another truck like it for about two years now and haven't found anything. I did find a '87 that was red and pretty rust free, but it only had a 305 in it and wanted about $5,000. I had about two thousand in the motor and lowering kit in that truck. I had to get rid of it at a bad time, and i let it go for next to nothing. It would mean a lot to get it back. It could be fixed back to tbi, but at what cost? I don't know. I'm going to meet with the guy in the next few days to look at it. Anything I should look for or be worried about? Also, he said he cut off the exhaust and put dual exhaust out the back. It originally had the cat. converter. Does it need a cat. to go back to tbi?