The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
idonutn0

Cab decisions??

Heres the deal...
The 72 truck I have a title for has a horrible cab on it, rusted floors, rusted roof, theres rust in places that shouldnt have rust but it is titled. I can get a parts truck ($200 complete) that is from Mexico and the cab has the usual floor rust but no rust anywhere else. It dosent have a title though.
Is there some bit of "magic" that could turn a cab with no title into a cab with a title?
I dont want to get into any legal trouble, but who actually looks at these things? Who matches up the numbers? Dont people remove the VIN tags to paint their trucks sometimes?
This is all hypothetical at this point. I want to know if I should keep looking for another parts truck or not.

Thanks for the info.
idonutn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Cab decisions??

The only thing that legally identifies one 67-72 cab from another is the VIN tag on the driver's side door and the glove box door spid (the sticker) has the VIN (or part of it, can't remember at the moment) across the top. I don't see any problem with taking off the VIN tag to paint behind it Just remember to try and find the special rosette rivets to put it back on.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 01-19-2009 at 08:37 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
hilandr452

From what I understand also, the laws on these older vehicles vary drastically from state to state, so I would check with the local DMV if I were you.

Dan

73 Chevy Camper Special (Yes, it's badged a camper special) Flat Bed Motorhome conversion 454, standard tranny

"DON'T TREAD ON ME !!!"

My Project: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20829244 , http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24654442
hilandr452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by idonutn0 View Post
Heres the deal...
The 72 truck I have a title for has a horrible cab on it, rusted floors, rusted roof, theres rust in places that shouldnt have rust but it is titled. I can get a parts truck ($200 complete) that is from Mexico and the cab has the usual floor rust but no rust anywhere else. It dosent have a title though.
Is there some bit of "magic" that could turn a cab with no title into a cab with a title?
I dont want to get into any legal trouble, but who actually looks at these things? Who matches up the numbers? Dont people remove the VIN tags to paint their trucks sometimes?
This is all hypothetical at this point. I want to know if I should keep looking for another parts truck or not.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in the same boat. 71 SWB w/ rough cab. Just bought an Arizona 68 3/4 ton LWB (no motor/trans, parts truck w/no title) with a solid cab. I'm going to remove the tag off the 71 Rough cab and put it on the 68 cab, then that cab on the 71 SWB frame
Heights Pro G front sub,, Shockwave Air Ride, 383cu in etc..
SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
mycool72

Yeah I had to remove my gfs tag on her cab for paint as well
mycool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
50MOTORHEAD

If you are that worried about the rivets,just cut plate off ,steel and all,leaving as much metal bordering the tag as possible. Cut the same size piece out of the other cab and weld it on.I would say that this would be illegal in just about any state but we are just talking hypothetically,,,right,,,
I have never done this but I have seen it done.-KB
50MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
WIDESIDE72

What about the fact that you would have toget the truck into the U.S. without a title? (CUSTOMS)
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
OARNGESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideside72 View Post
what about the fact that you would have toget the truck into the u.s. Without a title? (customs)
thats easy if it runs have someone from over there with a passport drive it across and if it dont run pull the motor and you can bring it across as parts we did this with an elcamino and my dad had an 01 ram registered over in mexico and drove it across with no problems either
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
yotaforce

It's only illegal if it's being done with deceptive intentions (i.e. a chop shop dealing with illegal posession of, or intentional use of parts or vehicles). Anyone who has title or legal bill of sale for any parts or vehicles can do whatever they want to with said parts or vehicles, as long as they are properly registered, pass state inspection standards, and licensed as per each state requires should they be used on the public highway.
I have lost count how many times I have removed VIN numbers to restore a dash or door jamb or engine compartment firewall and I have always had someone say "You can't do that.." or "don't tell anyone you are doing that, or else..".
It's just a tag on a peice of old metal. It's not like you are taking a 71 truck vin and putting it on a 73, or a 66.

Last edited by yotaforce; 01-19-2009 at 11:00 PM.
yotaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
idonutn0

Thanks for all of the advice to my hypothetical question. I had though of all of those suggestions myself, I just wanted to see if it was common practice or how things were done.
The truck is actually in the states. The guy evidently drove it over and then got into some trouble with INS and got deported leaving the truck sitting in his friends field.
Bad luck for him, good luck for me.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
idonutn0

Thanks for all of the advice to my hypothetical question. I had though of all of those suggestions myself, I just wanted to see if it was common practice or how things were done.
The truck is actually in the states. The guy evidently drove it over and then got into some trouble with INS and got deported leaving the truck sitting in his friends field.
Bad luck for him, good luck for me.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
yotaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
What about the fact that you would have toget the truck into the U.S. without a title? (CUSTOMS)
First off, Dept. of homeland security has more important thing s to do than fin d legal ownership of junk cars coming into the country from Meheeco, also considering they don't seem to have a problem with the thousand upon thousands of vehicle that are purposely being hauled over the border to supply the Mexican people with used cars and trucks from our side of the border! Right now, if you want to sell a Toyota truck, there are plenty of Mexicans who will pay top dollar just to drive it down there and sell it for more!
yotaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

I would contact your DMV or state patrol and ask them.
Changing VIN tags is fraudulent. Period.
You may well be dealing with the remnants of a stolen truck.

The property owner might be able to place a abandoned vehicle lien
on the cab and procure paperwork in that way.

BTW-genuine ss rosette rivets will set you back a bundle,
...if you can find them. Nearly as much as the cab may be worth.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...

Last edited by ETsC10; 01-19-2009 at 11:36 PM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
Green Machine

This question has come up many times before. As mentioned, check your state laws to be legal. I agree that changing VIN tags is illegal, but I would think of that as taking a good title and VIN tag and putting it on another whole vehicle, but I am not a laywer. That cab could be hot or stolen, which could be big trouble. There are also minor differences between the cab years, like parking brake location, mirror location with mounting pad or not and vent in the drivers pillar etc, that could be caught with a good eye.

In theroy, as long as you are not trying to decieve anyone the cab should just be another repair part. How much can you change and have it be the same truck ?

In theory again, as long as the frame VIN and the cab tag matches, you could change every other single part and still be legal I would think.

Suppose I wanted to change a 2wd to a 4wd, or had massive frame damage, I would have to get a different frame, I would not change the title to do that "repair" either.

There is legal and there is moral. Illegal will get you into trouble now, Immoral will get you into trouble later !!!
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0

Last edited by Green Machine; 01-19-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote