The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Chevypower292

Wiring question.

Alright, I've been working on my '70 Truck...Well I've got a question about the wiring...
The Alt on it is the wrong one, (new stlye)....well I'll show you how its hooked up... As you can see in the picture its barely even hooked up, its hooked to where it only charges the battery nothing else, well I got to looking and found the orignal wiring harness for the old style Alt and its got the wrong plug on it...I need to hook up my newer style Alt to the orignal wiring harness for the old style Alt...What I need to know is how to hook up my harness to it..The plugs are different..I need to know which wire goes where. (On the plugs)

The Alt is hooked up to where it charges the battery and nothing else gets power from it.. (Its rigged up)

This is the orignal wiring harness for the Alt..As you can see I have a Blue wire and Tan wire going to the plug on the harness. I need to change the plugs out so my orignal wiring will fit the newer Alt.

EDIT: Both pictures are clickable for better viewing.

Last edited by Chevypower292; 01-20-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Chevypower292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Chevypower292

Re: Wiring question.

Also I forgot to ad that my Factory Tach does not work...

These two wires come from the dist. area...\I'm not sure if they have anything to do with it not working...anyway, I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

Last edited by Chevypower292; 01-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have read your post a few times and every time I read it I get more confused about what you need... Are you saying there are two sets of wires to your alternator? (Abbreviation is Alt)

Maybe I'm thinking wrong here but I always thought the alternator was supposed to charge the battery and all of the electrical components got their power from the battery not the alternator.

As far as the Tach you should have a red wire and a brown wire plugged into the back of it. The red wire, marked 12v on the back of the tach, will plug into a terminal on the fuse block that is hot when the ignition switch is on. ("Ignition Unfused" will do) The brown wire,(sometimes turns Tan with age) marked coil on the back of the tach, will go to the "TACH" terminal on the HEI distributor or the coil on a regular points distributor. I can't remember if it goes to the + side or the - side of the coil off the top of my head.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-20-2009 at 11:38 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Chevypower292

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have read your post a few times and every time I read it I get more confused about what you need... Are you saying there are two sets of wires to your alternator? (Abbreviation is Alt)

Maybe I'm thinking wrong here but I always thought the alternator was supposed to charge the battery and all of the electrical components got their power from the battery not the alternator.

As far as the Tach you should have a red wire and a brown wire plugged into the back of it. The red wire, marked 12v on the back of the tach, will plug into a terminal on the fuse block that is hot when the ignition switch is on. ("Ignition Unfused" will do) The brown wire, marked coil on the back of the tach, will go to the "TACH" terminal on the HEI distributor or the coil on a regular points distributor. I can't remember if it goes to the + side or the - side of the coil off the top of my head.

LockDoc
Sorry..Sometimes I can't really explain things the best. (I'll try to clean it up some)
But yes..your right, I have a wiring harness for the type of Alt that came on it (Orignally)..That harness is not hooked up, It has a newer style Alt that is hooked up but its rigged up.. If you look at my picture the red wire on the Alt comes from the plug on it and goes to the back of the Alt where the + power goes..then the black wire (Coming from the plug) you see is cut off and goes to nothing at all.

Last edited by Chevypower292; 01-20-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
It sounds like someone has put a one wire, internally regulated alternator on it. You don't use all of the wires when you put one of those on. If it is keeping your battery charged I would say it is wired correctly. It looks like a couple of the wires have been a little warm but that could be from a previous problem. I think there is a post in the FAQ forum about one wire alternators. You might want to read that.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Chevypower292

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
It sounds like someone has put a one wire, internally regulated alternator on it. You don't use all of the wires when you put one of those on. If it is keeping your battery charged I would say it is wired correctly. It looks like a couple of the wires have been a little warm but that could be from a previous problem. I think there is a post in the FAQ forum about one wire alternators. You might want to read that.

LockDoc
Alright..I understand. Also to tell you the truth..I have just come across that thread your talking about.