The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Quickly Addicted

What should I look for in my first 60-66 truck?

First off, I'm new to the boards here. My name is Chris and I recently moved from CA to a northern suburb of Dallas, TX. I've been reading the posts in here for a few days and I'm impressed with the wealth of knowledge (and work ethic!) on here. I'm sure you guys can point me in the right direction and help me make the best choice.

I'm going to be needing a truck here before the end of the summer, and I think I'd like to get an old 60-66 chevy. I'm going to have about 1000-2000 dollars to spend. I need something that I can drive nearly everyday, so it pretty much has to be in decent driving shape to start with.

Also, I cant afford a money pit. After buying this, it's not likely that I'll be able to sink a lot of extra money into it.

I'll be buying this as something that I can work on occasionally, I'm never going to do one of the gorgeous frame-off restorations that I see here. I just need to get around and haul stuff home to fix up a house. While driving a great piece of american iron.

So my questions are:

1. What engine is "best"? Does an I6 get any better mileage than a small V8? What about reliability/strength? Do the I6's wheeze like I do running up hills lol?

2. What year is "best"? Loaded question I know, but does one year have any features that make driving them more comfortable or easier?

3. Should I look for one that has been converted to 5 lug wheels and power brakes and steering? I'd prefer something easier to work on and less likely to leak so I'm thinking that all orig would be better, but I i dont know much about these so correct me if I'm wrong.

4. How wide are the beds of step sides and fleet sides? I need to be able to put a full sheet of plywood or sheetrock in it at home depot. I do plan on using it as a truck for awhile at least.

5. Is there a "best" transmission? I dont care for 3 on the tree, but I'm leery of getting some hacked up conversion to a floor shifter. I'm thinking that an auto would be better for me, but again, correct me if I'm wrong.

In general, what should I try to find or try to avoid? Thanks guys. BTW, you've got some amazing looking trucks on here.
Quickly Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
ol Curt

Re: What should I look for in my first 60-66 truck?

I would start here....

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bu...uide_60_66.htm
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
TwoFiftyShifter

Ideally, you'd want a small block V8. It will get surprisingly similar mileage as the I6, but will be much stronger, just in case you find yourself on a nasty hill carrying a huge load..... An I6 will still pull it, but the V8 may do it without working as hard. Don't fear the strength of a strong running 6 though - they used them in dump trucks and other large vehicles during that time - They will pull a load.

The year is mostly dependant on your personal preference. Fleetside beds are wider than stepside beds, that may be something to look for. The best transmision for you is probably a 4-speed with creeper gear. Reliable as heck, and a 1st gear so low you can haul to your hearts desire, just dont expect good highway mileage.

Last edited by TwoFiftyShifter; 01-21-2009 at 05:20 PM.
TwoFiftyShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Rogue
Airport Bum

First we need to know you plan for the truck.
Is it going to be a Daily driver or something to run to the dump in.
Stock, upgraded, lowered, slammed, Bagged.....Plenty of options and opinions.
Quite a few 60-66 folks in the area too.

In my opinion, a upgraded truck is best.
Although I like the 60-63 kneeknockers look better, a 64-66 Windshield cost 25% of a wraparound.
A small V8 with a T5 5 speed. ( I don't do shushboxes)
Disk/5 lug conversion with a dual master, for safety.
Power steering so the little wife can drive it.
A/C ...I have dealer underdash. (Old Air is in FW)

This should give you a good/reliable truck.
It will drive much like a late model, but many-many times cooler!
1959 Edsel Villager
1963 Skylark
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Quickly Addicted

Thanks guys, that's good input. I intend to keep it stock, just clean it up a bit and paint it and keep it running well.

I'll be using it as a daily driver off the bat, but dont really plan to sell it even when I get another truck in the future. I'd rather keep it nice then pass it down to my son. I wont be lowering it. Of course, the situation might change down the road you never know.

That stovepipe site has a lot of info on it, thanks for that link ol curt.
Quickly Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quickly Addicted:

Welcome to the forums from Kansas City, KS. The stovebolt.com link that ol Curt provided is a great "how to" guide to buying the '60-'66 Chevy trucks. Keep us posted on your progress and remember to post early and often, especially pictures.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
shortbed70

I can speak from experience look at the truck your buying hard like underneath,floorpans,suspension any rust holding pockets trust me that gets expensive in a hurry, also drive it as you would if it were yours to see how it acts and watch the guages. I would go v8 for sure cheap parts upgrade and discs would be great.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Dual master cyclinder is the best upgrade you can make, with some harnesses or shoulder belts.

As far as the rest of it's concerned, there's ups and downs to all the available options. Bear in mind these rigs are 40 plus years old. There's no telling who's owned it, and what they've done.

And they're all money pits, though they're like kids: You love 'em too much to care...
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote