The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
dmh13433

Crew Cab question

Hi everyone,
I just bought an 89 one ton Crew Cab I am going to restore someday. I would like to cut the frame and shorten it for a short box. My first question is will the short box bolt right on the frame without modifying it?
I will post some pictures when I get it home.
Thanks
dmh13433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Crew Cab question

The4 holes in the front of the new box will need new holes in frame. Rear holes should line up. Problem is your going to have this neat 2' space behind the cab unless you plan on shortning the frame and drive shaft aa wee bit too. I've seen trucks that were LWB with 6' boxes on them with a platform in between cab & box for equipment, hoists, welders, pumps & such. Mostly road service trucks & railroad trucks.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Conundrum

I could be wrong, but I think that shortening your frame would be the same as shortening any other long bed to a short bed of these years. Once you remove the needed amount (I think it's 14") from the frame behind the cab you should be able to use the original bolt holes in the frame. Then you need to remove 6" from the rear of the frame. I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if i'm wrong.

97 GMC reg cab short bed, 4.3V6 / 5spd, daily driver
220,000 miles, all stock for now
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

You have to remove material before the rear axel so the frame hump aligns with the wheel openings in the new box. Drive shaft has to be shortened also. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that shortening your frame would be the same as shortening any other long bed to a short bed of these years. Once you remove the needed amount (I think it's 14") from the frame behind the cab you should be able to use the original bolt holes in the frame. Then you need to remove 6" from the rear of the frame. I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if i'm wrong.
correct sir!
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
dmh13433

So I should be able to cut the 6" off the tail, and the box should bolt right to the frame? All the holes will line up?
I haven't got it home yet, I pulled it to a friends farm until I make room for it in my shop. We set the short box on the frame, it it did look like we will have to cut the frame in the rear, probably 6". It was -25 last week when pulled it home. Didn't want to spend anymore time outside than I had to. Just looking real quick, it didn't look like the rear holes would line up, but the other holes looked close.
I will start posting pictures when I get it home and start working on it.
thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
OJOE
Crew Cut

you can do a search on this site there is a few post on it and good luck
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
dmh13433

Thanks Ojoe,
I read your thread, but you used the frame from a short box, I would like to keep the 8" crewcab frame on it. I'm just trying to learn as much about it before I start.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
suicide 63

hope this helps
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/lwb_to_swb.htm
suicide 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
dmh13433

Hey thanks,