The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic

6" or 8" subwoofer for behind seat

I'm trying to decide what I want to do for a subwoofer in my 77. The goal here is some good bass for listening to classic rock, alt rock, and country. I'm a drummer and play some bass guitar on the side, which should give you an idea of what my ears are tuned for. Drives me nuts when I can't hear the bass guitar.

I'd like it to be light weight. Space savings is also important too since I have hydraulic jack, CD changer, and speaker boxes behind the seat.

Looking to spend around $100 or less on the woofer itself but I will spend more if there is a particular product that really fits my needs. I'm open to a 6" or 8" woofer. I know the biggest thing is the recommend enclosure volume. Smaller is better for me. Mounting depth is important because there isn't a whole lot of room behind the seat of a 73-87.

Any recommendations ?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: 6" or 8" subwoofer for behind seat

I'd go with the 8", you will find a better selection of woofers and they are very affordable. An enclosure for an 8" sub is probably going to be .3-.4 cu ft which is pretty small and with a quality sub you should be able get it to play down to ~30hz which sounds like it should be plenty low for your sound preference.

I'm a big fan of JL audio, the entry level stuff is pretty cheap and has always lasted me for years.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 01-23-2009 at 09:28 PM.
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote