The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
rddaves54

Question preporting brake value

When I bought my truck it had a hydraulic brake added so they could pull a trailer. It had the electrical box under the dash and a hydraulic line connected to the brake preporting value. My question is, after I took it off I bled the brake lines but the brake light is still on inside the cab. Is the preporting value bad or do I need to do something else to allow the valve to know the pressure is the same or correct now? I would like to get the light off on the dash. I was thinking about replacing the preporting value. Any ideas?
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: preporting brake value

-
Not to be critical of your spelling but it is called a proportioning valve. The only reason I mention this is to hopefully increase the replies to your post. If I remember correctly, once the brakes are bled and working as they should the proportioning valve should reset itself and the light goes out. I hope someone with more brake experience will chime in here....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

more than likely you still have some air in there somewhere. The light will come on if there is difference in pressure above and below the prop. valve. Bleed again and see what happens. Can you push in on the button on the front of the prop. valve?

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Huck

According to the GM service manual, there is a tool that is used to lock the piston pin in front of the proportioning valve in place when you want to bleed the brakes. This keeps the piston centered so that you have brake fluid flowing to both the front and rear brake lines as you bleed the brakes. Sometimes you can recenter or recet the valve/piston by stomping on the brake pedal a few times. The dash brake light will come on whenever the piston is moved off center.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

One trick is before you pull off any brake lines, shove a block of wood or something to keep the pedal pressed down some. This helps keep it centered while the lines are open.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote