The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
jorgensensc

WTB: Edelbrock Electric Choke Carb.

Hey all,
I'm looking for an edelbrock 500 or 600 cfm electric choke carb. I would like one that has recently came off of a running engine that doesn't need a rebuild. I am looking to spend about 100-125 shipped to 77018. Obviously the nicer the carb, the upper end of the budget. I would be willing to buy a carb that needs rebuilding or manual choke carb, but the shipped price must reflect the additional cost of a rebuild kit or a electric choke kit (either around 50.00).
SO to clear things up:
500 or 600 cfm edelbrock carb:
Really nice electric choke, no rebuild needed: 125.00
Okay electric choke carb no rebuild needed: 100.00
Electric choke carb needing rebuild: 75.00
Non electric choke, no rebuild needed: 75.00

Can paypal promptly. Let me know what you got!
Thanks!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
jorgensensc

Re: WTB: Edelbrock Electric Choke Carb.

Ttt

Old 01-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
1956cameo

Good luck finding one used, I have been looking for this exact same thing for my father in law. If you already have a Edelbrock carb without the electric choke you can put the electric choke on it if you are only successful in finding the choke unit. AutoZone and O' Reilly sell the electric choke rebuild kit but not the housing. Information you propably already know though.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
jorgensensc

How are you doing! Thanks for the info. The problem I am having is a long sorted out issue that involves a new q-jet, a 1966 Chevelle intake for a Quadrajet, and the fact that they don't repro the Choke for that particular intake with the q-jet. I have called all over, and no one has one, not even Obsolete Chevy. It has turned into a major headache. I decided just to throw on an electric choke edelbrock to make things easier in the long run. I have found a couple in the price ranges above on the internet, but I trust the folks on here more, so I thought I would put the call out here first. I'll give it another day or two and see what happens.
Shawn

Old 01-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
drunkbus

What kind of choke is on the Q-jet? It might be easier to just get an electric choke kit for the Q-jet. Here's a link to check out, this place also has kits to change from a divorced choke to electric.http://www.carburetion.com/choke2.asp
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
drunkbus

Here's the page with the conversion kits.http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
1956cameo

So on the Q-jet you are talking about the choke that is adjusted by the heat of the intake and has that spring thing that is connected to the carb thru a piece of linkage? If so I am suprised that no one makes them. Granted they are usually missing from the engines but you would think someone would make them. Have you tried AutoZone, NAPA, O' Rielly? Sometimes they suprise me and have things that even the catalog companies don't have. You can also try a place in Pasadena. It's called Morgans. They have all types of hard to find stuff; if we cant find it anywhere else we usually call them. Don't have their # or adress on hand but could get it for you.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
jorgensensc

Thanks for the link. I will have to look further into the conversion. It might be easier at the end of the day.
Yes I'm talking about the choke adjusted by the intake heat. The problem is the way it mounts to the intake is very different in 65 and 66. After that they became pretty standard. I even have a couple that I tried to use/ modify to work. There is just no way to do it and have it work correctly. I just thought at the end of the day the Edelbrock would be easier to tune, and quite honestly easier to get. It looks like it might be easier to do the choke thing. Now to figure out what year carb I got when I got this one from the parts store. I know it was the 90 dollar one that we all found to be the cheapest one on the message board.
Shawn

Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
pound41

I have numerous vehicles with qjets. Many years ago JC whitney had the first electric conversions for the divorced chokes. $ 15 a pop I bought about a 1/2 dozen. I have used them all up. I was going to buy one of those from carb unlimited. My 70 blazer is an early 70/ late 69 its place where you mount the choke is different than the 71. Probably like the 66 chevelle. I have an edlebrock 600cfm with electric choke that has only a few hundred drive miles and hours of start up time. Re worked the top half of the motor and then started replacing the floor. I cannot get the edlebrock to adjust right so I am going to try the q jet if it doesn't work keep foolin with the 600. anyway those conversion kits are pricey but the do work
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote