The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Re: Headers vs Cast Manifolds for Low RPM

Depends what you set your initial timing at and how many degree's your advance can will pull in and how much your motor can tolerate. I ran a stock 350 and with 8 degree's initial timing and a stock HEI on manifold vacuum. I have idea how much that can pulled in and no idea what the total timing was since there was no timing tape, but it never pinged and has a good sounding idle so I wasn't worried.

By comparison, if you have an aftermarket cam that likes around 34 total and 13-14 degree's initial, you need a crane cams brand limiter plate and adjustable vacuum can and limit it to 10-12 degree on the can, then use the internal screw in the can to adjust the rate.

If that Q-Jet has a connector on the top front of the carb, it's electronic. Not going to work. It's a mechanical carb, first verify that you have a 4 hole spacer under it. Second, start finding out what that carb's original application was and go from there. If it's a V6 carb, you can swap in primary metering rods and jets for a stock 350 application.

Alternatively, an Edelbrock 650 or Holley 650 will match up to your intake and have readily available tuning parts.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 01-27-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote