The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: Front track too wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I haven't done the swap yet. I'm going by what Ive read on the board. I have already purchased my spindles and disk kit. You're the first person that's given a definitive yes to the after the swap to disks the front track now equals all the disk brake trucks (well, up to a certain year).
I did measure my 68 before/after & I seem to recall it was closer to .500" wider per side w/the discs vs. drums (my info said to expect .375" difference). This was w/factory 68 a-arms, 73-87 spindles (1.25" rotors), 73-87 steering assembly, & the factory 68 manual pitman/idler arms. Was the truck you based your numbers off of lowered? If so, how?

I used 6.5" van ralleys & had no issues w/about 6" of front drop.

You mentioned this was going to be a road warrior so you wanted the same size tire all around. Would you consider the same height all around? That would get you closer to your goal w/o having to resort to an air suspension (which it sounds like you don't want). A 215-75-15 is less than .500" difference in height & would work well on a 6.5-7" wheel & compliment the rear sizing for good symmetry. A 215-75 spare is easier to conceal & would work @ every corner.

Pic below is w/215-75's & 275-60's on 6.5" & 8" wheels respectively. Food for thought . . . ....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-27-2009 at 11:58 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #27
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I didnt know that was your truck...I really like it. Its one of the couple I was going back and forth on when trying to decide my tire size.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #28
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I didnt know that was your truck...I really like it. Its one of the couple I was going back and forth on when trying to decide my tire size.
Thanks. The sizes I listed were eventually replaced w/215-75's & 255-70's to help the 6cyl/3spd/3.73 combo on the road. Unfortunately..... that truck got a Dropmember & then got disassembled .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-28-2009 at 02:01 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote