The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Need help with Steering column actuator 83 Chev

I ran into a problem with a no start/no accessory power when the key was turned. I found the problem but don't know if I can fix it without taking the column completely out of the truck or not. I'll try and attach a pic of the part that broke. I don't know the proper name for it, but it attaches to the actuator rack and the start rod. At any rate, I've taken most of it apart except for the housing that would cover where it attaches to the rod. If I need to take it completely out, I'll stop where I am and take it out. If anyone has some experience with this, let me know. It's on an 83 Chevy pickup with tilt. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Need help with Steering column actuator 83 Chev

West. I wish you lived closer. Changing the actuator is a real PITA. I've done hundreds of these but to explain it would take forever. I suggest you try and find someone close to do it or pull the colunm and take it to a Chevy\GMC store. It's complicated and to easy to break something else or get hurt. There is a BIG spring in there that has to come out and the pivot pins need a special tool to remove. IF you can get your hands on a factory repair manual you can fix it. If not, follow above advice and save yourself the headache. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
mitch1965

They sell the replacement piece at the local Auto Zone. I just had my column apart ('85 w/ tilt). Like James said "PITA"!!!. I had to purchase the pin removal tool, about $10, and borrow the column spring tool from Checker Auto. I had to do all this to tighten the 4 bolts in the mechanism. There are several good write ups with pictures on the web for this job. Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

I may try and take the column out. That way I could take it somewhere if I need to. Is there anything other than the colum support bolts and where it attaches to the steering shaft to get it out? It's too cold to work on it ouside. -16F this a.m. I think it's above zero now.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
no1uno55

where would someone find that factory repair manual. that is the same part that is broken on my column to (thanks to a dead beat trying to steal my truck) along with a few other parts.(which i have found and can buy) so i may try and fix my myself.
thanks
no1uno55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Square84
I don't think these pills work

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestButteTruck View Post
I may try and take the column out. That way I could take it somewhere if I need to. Is there anything other than the colum support bolts and where it attaches to the steering shaft to get it out? It's too cold to work on it ouside. -16F this a.m. I think it's above zero now.
yes there is 3or4 bolts on the plate that mounts to the firewall where the column goes through the firewall, and the rod for the trans mission selecter has to be disconnected, and all the wiring has to be unplugged.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Warmed up enough I had time to dig into this project. I happened to have a repair manual on hand, plus some searching on the web. While I was in there, I tightened the four hex bolts, plus put some lock-tite on them. It went back together a lot faster than everything came apart. Works great, everything is nice and tight.....and it starts. Thanks to everyone who replied with advice!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
mitch1965

Good Job! I know it is a real PITA, but it feels so good when it all goes back together and works like you want it to. Also, once you've done that job once, you're not afraid to tackle it for an upgrade or whatever else comes up.