The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #26
joe231

Re: Trailing Arm ?

even with the arms angled in the stock location you need a panhard or watts link...
also the factory arms have some "flex" designed into them, otherwise you would have little to no articulation, not that there is much anyway....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+trailing+arms

Last edited by joe231; 01-24-2009 at 07:27 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
OK so I was thinking. You could prob run a 10-11 inch tire with the stock setup, but I'm wanting to run a 17 x 11 rim. So I was thinking of running the trailing arms straight back to the rearend. This would allow you to run bigger rubber out back. You would have to do a few things though. Prob a panhard bar of some sort and modify your wheel wells. You would have to make your own brackets for the trailing arms to bolt to. Prob a coil over shock. Sounds like a lot of work but prob easier than a rearclip. So am I of my rocker or what?
No need to relocate the trailing arm mounts to run wider wheels & rubber. In their stock location, you can fit 14" wide wheels w/the correct back spacing. You'll definitely need to widen the wheeltubs & should use an aftermarket Panhard bar (one that attaches to the pass trailing arm from the drivers side).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-24-2009 at 11:45 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #28
bentfab

Here's a few pics of the arms I've been modifying I still have one more thing left (which will add the character to the arm) and also the shock mount once I get them in the chassis. But this will give you an idea of what you can do with just a little clean up and thought.
Attached Images

bentfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:14 AM   #29
quickchevy

I am looking at running a 15 by 10 rim with a 3.5 backspacing.the tire will be mt drag radial 325 50 15.Will it fit under the stock wheel well.
quickchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchevy View Post
I am looking at running a 15 by 10 rim with a 3.5 backspacing.the tire will be mt drag radial 325 50 15.Will it fit under the stock wheel well.
It will be just about flush or extend just beyond the outer wheel well lip. So it will fit if you're not lowered. If lowered, more back-space will be required.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote