The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
renagadebee34

bodyquestions?

hey guys i was wondering if those patch panels work good for the lower front panels and how hard they are to replace? im a very beginner welder and how much does a good body man cost for some bondo and paint cost? also i need two new doors and fenders and dont want to pay full price for them at brothers and lmc?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
sgtusmc

Re: bodyquestions?

Most patches work good, some are not perfect, but close. Cut the rusty area out, line it up with the new panel. Trace it out, cut it, weld it on. Turn the glue machine down so you don't warp the panels. Spot weld every few inches, to keep the heat down. Let it cool, then keep spot welding till you've covered the whole area. You might wanna get a hammer & dollie set (try harbor fright for a cheap set) and try and bang out the dents to keep the bondo down as much as you can. As far as prices go for bodymen and paint men...anywhere from a nickel bag of dope to 20 grand. I can't answer your question about doors and fenders but, I'm sure there's a few on here that can. Depending on what you want the final outcome to be, try and do it yourself. There's a lot of info over the net along with videos. Also, there are a lot of guru's here who can answer all or most of your questions as far as body work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
renagadebee34

Re: bodyquestions?

thanks for your help! im kinda new at all this expecially body work and i dont have a lot of money to spend on this stuff so i have to go slow