The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

Talking Couple of truck questions.

First question is related to headers.

Currently on my truck, with the flowtech headers I have (Soon to be replaced by a set of hedmans) - the Spark plug boots on Cylinder's 3,4,5,6 will not fit properly. Meaning that when using normal length spark plugs, the plug boots press up against the primary tubes.

I thought this was a bad idea, and as a result I have to use those cheapie little "U-groove" accel header plugs. And they SUCK. Things have fouled out a time or two, once was clearly my fault (running too rich). So my goal is to go back to standard length A/C Delco or NGK plugs.

Is there a way to put a bit of a dent in these primary tubes without damaging them?

My Second question is about 700r4's, mainly my friends.

His truck appears to be shifting into OD and locking the convertor a bit early, causing the engine to bog down and create a 'bobble' while driving around town. I know it's something to do with the tranny, because keeping it out of Overdrive makes it run normally.

Are the shift points just controled by the TV cable? Or is there something else?

I'd really like to get his truck back to running again.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Jeff
There's whiskey in the jar-o."
CHaingKaiShek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:37 AM   #2
CHaingKaiShek
I love goooooold!

No one has any ideas?

Or should I take the hint and go post elsewhere?

Jeff
There's whiskey in the jar-o."
CHaingKaiShek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:49 AM   #3
low 84

the best way i've heard to do the headers is use a large socket (possibly cover it in a rag so you don't damage the finish on the headers) and put it on the spot you want to indent and give it some whacks with a hammer. should make a nice smooth dent in it.

i don't have a clue about the 700r4 though, mike might. i think he has some write ups on his site about t.v. cable adjustments.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:06 AM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

With the headers now why are you wanting to ding them if you're getting new ones soon? I would look the new headers to see if you're going to get the same problems. If so then ding the old ones for practice and then do it on the new ones.

On the 700r4 yes the TV pressure controls the shifting just like the vacuum modulator does on a TH350. Look on Mike's 700r4 page for adjustment procedure.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote