The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
scottrod71

Need your opinions

Ok guys, I need to fish or cut bait with this truck. As it sits, I have right at $8,500 in it and it is a great driver. I truly wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. All the mechanical is done but I do need to decide how much more I can put in the truck to bring it up to par cosmetically. I don't want a show truck or trailer queen. I want a good, dependable driver that looks good. The basics are that it has a nice 350 with a mild RV cam (290 HP?), a Muncie M21 4 speed, 3.08 gears in a 12 bolt rearend, new front power disc brakes, new serpentine system w/ new water pump, a/c compressor, power steering pump, etc. New carpet (although I need to take it out to clean since a heater core relacement), good bench seat, and a rear slider window. Changed it all over to a 5 lug setup so it has new rear axles too.

It needs new wood in the bed, a complete paint job, and I'd like to re-route the exhaust. I'd also like to put on some nice Rally wheels. I'm thinking of going with the dark blue (since the firewall is already that color) on the bottom and some kind of silver on the top, down the bed rails to the back and silver inside the bed as well.

So, am I screwing up to put another 6 to 10 in someone I want to drive? I've attached some pictures and would welcome any and all opinions or questions. I am just having a hard time making up my mind.
Attached Images

scottrod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Re: Need your opinions

2- tone silver and blue would look awsome! However there are a lot of really cool colors I see on newer cars out there, it would just take a little more to paint the firewall and such. I think its worth putting more money into something that you love to drive. You could go dump 35k into a brand new car and it wouldn't be nearly as cool.

Last edited by BluTrukker; 02-02-2009 at 03:50 PM.
BluTrukker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
SactoJim

Bottom line is that if you really really like your truck, just build it like you want. If you go into it with the mindset of "is it gonna be worth what I got in it"?......you'll never build it just like you want it.

Looks like you're off to a great start......nice truck.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
bw4sale

I think your truck looks GREAT as a driver now. Maybe the pics are revealing something you are seeing in person. I'd love for mine to be where yours is right now.

Off topic question. How do you like the Muncie? I was thinking of this myself when I got to that point. Did you do it yourself? Was it an easy swap?

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
nightmare

you just can't go wrong with blue and silver, although it looks good just like it is. i would go for more comfort than anything at this point, something like bucket seats and a tilt column.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
scottrod71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw4sale View Post
I think your truck looks GREAT as a driver now. Maybe the pics are revealing something you are seeing in person. I'd love for mine to be where yours is right now.

Off topic question. How do you like the Muncie? I was thinking of this myself when I got to that point. Did you do it yourself? Was it an easy swap?
The paint looks good from a distance but it's an older (80's) paint job and it's fading fast. No rust or runs but dull in spots.

The truck came to me with the 4 speed and my initial plan was to put in an automatic BUT, I really love driving the manual. My wife isn't as impressed as I do get on it a little and she has no idea why...
Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

I say yes...for under 20G's, you have a truck that will last a long time. You won't be able to sell for what you put in it, but it sounds like you want to drive it. I have more in mine that it's worth, and I want to put more in...because I get a kick out of it daily. There aren't many people who get a kick out of driving, so I just consider the truck money my fun money! The wife gets the rest, so I don't feel too bad spending some here and there.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Scott,
I'm with everyone else. Your truck looks great as she sits. But the bottom line is, if you can afford it and you plan on keeping the truck, go for it. You know as well as I that you only get a percentage of restoration costs back in resale. SO if enjoy driving it and are going to keep it, do it the way you want. Paint, auto, wheels, etc, etc, etc!!

Oh and by the way, you should really get rid of that M21 and sell it to me. My granny low 4 speed is killing me!

And nice to see you back on here. Haven't seen you in a while!!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
scottrod71

Thanks, Doug. Keep thinking I'll run into you at a show but no luck yet. Let me know if you're headed for a cruise this spring and I'll try to make it. On the truck, I think I'm just building up the steam to do what I wanted all along. I thought about painting it myself but too little time and most of my painting was back in the acrylic enamel and Imron days. I know very little about the base/clear stuff although everybody says its easy. The body shop is supposed to call me with a price today. We'll see.........
Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
oldno7

I would consider afew things. First is this a true daily driver, or do you have other trans. I wouldn't put a bunch of $ into your truck if mother nature is going to ruin it in afew years. (salt) You could always paint the top the silver and buffet all out. If you could keep it out of the bad weather then go for it. I think you have a nice truck. Let us know what you do!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
cdowns

if it's a daily driver just set yourself up on a monthly payment plan as tho you were buying it on credit// not as an investment but mearly as the cost of having transportation

lots of people are buying new $18-$20thousand dollar vehicles that at the end of the payment plan are paying nearly twice what the sticker was and in the end they have a paid off vehicle with no value to speak of. at least with your truck in the end you may not get near what you have into it but you'll do better than if you had bought new
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
big_al_71

I am in mine for over 20k and it is still not a show stopper like I want but what the heck is only money and it is one of my hobbies.
with that in min d go for it and do what makes you happy.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
pumpgas

Investment or pleasure that is the 1st and only question you have to ask yourself????
69' Chevy short step carbed 6.0 w/400th trans. Completed w/325 miles on it
pumpgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
70cst

scottrod71... thats it's a to keep it and make it yours. I will have over $25k in the Circuit Rider but It was my choice to put the $$$ in my 70cst verses purchasing a new truck. Newer trucks just don't have the "" factor plus our trucks are ICONS. I am having my truck restore to be a driver and not for resale so the $$$ invested isn't an issue. You have a good lookin truck and if you enjoy it and it meets your needs...then fix it up as you can. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 02-03-2009 at 01:15 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I like it as it sits.I`d just freshen it up.I like a Stepside in solid paint.The body is already broken up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
rambler
MOVE OVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
if it's a daily driver just set yourself up on a monthly payment plan as tho you were buying it on credit// not as an investment but mearly as the cost of having transportation

lots of people are buying new $18-$20thousand dollar vehicles that at the end of the payment plan are paying nearly twice what the sticker was and in the end they have a paid off vehicle with no value to speak of. at least with your truck in the end you may not get near what you have into it but you'll do better than if you had bought new
good advice,, you would have 17K-20K in a truck you love and built, that should last as long as a newer car...
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
69ROTROD

Sink the money into the truck. You won't regret it. It's already been around for 40 years, it's not going anywhere.

Plus, having a daily driver that can eat a Mustang GT is pretty cool.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=303768
69ROTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
heavy71chevy

Im with what everyone stated above...Ive had to rebuild mine three time now because of vandals....and im still going strong lol If it makes you happy..It makes you happy
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #19
Mondo

I thought I could get away with a 10 grand investment but I'm over 15 now (though it's pretty much done). I figure I won't lose as much as if I bought a newer truck for that much seeing how these are getting to be "classics".

And it seems everyone loves these trucks and say: "I used to have one, should of never sold it" or "always wanted one of those" etc...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Scott,

I would do it. You have driven it that way for a while, so why not treat yourself to a little bling... We aren't getting any younger and you never know what tomorrow may bring.

I saw it at the Midwest Meet last year and it looked good, but I can surely understand where you are coming from.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-04-2009 at 12:55 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #21
scottrod71

Thanks for all the advice guys. Even my wife thinks I should keep it and give it a paint job. Of course that may be because she knows I'll want something else if I don't. As such, I took the truck around to 4 shops I felt I could trust and none of them want the job. They all agreed it was a good, straight truck but they were all too busy with insurance work and didn't want to take on a full paint job. I was hoping to get it done around $6,000 but I didn't anticipate no one wanting the job. Anyone know of a good shop within 60 miles of KC that will do a complete paint job?

If not, I may bite the bullet and do it myself. I used to do alot of the old Centari or Imron jobs but I haven't done anything with the base/clear paints. I don't really want to do it but I may have to from the looks of it.