The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Question How to Remove Front Floor Support??

I would like to know the best method for removing the old floor supports. Getting the thing disconnected from the rocker was easy because it has so many holes in it, but removing it from the C-Channel portion is proving to be a real pain. I have drilled out the spot welds (at least the ones I can see) and I still have little luck getting it to move. I know some folks cut them off and weld the new support on just outside the channel, but I want the entire thing outta there.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I need to replace mine too so you got me curious now. I thought it was just spot welds but maybe there is something else. Don't put the bolt on "add-on" support over the top! Mine had those and when I removed one there was nothing but rust inside from the old support. Now I will have to replace the floor too, if I decide I can save that cab! One of my other cabs needs a support so I am curious about how to get them off. Torch and grind as a last resort.

I know somethimes it is tough to get the spot welds just right and it takes a little additional persuasion. I have always had to drill all the way through the spot weld and then have to plug the hole in the backup piece. If you don't drill all the way through you may not have removed all the weld yet.

Sorry for the long post but I am just thinking out loud.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
ebfabman

Heres how I do it. First I use a cut off tool or "ziz" wheel. I make several cuts between and right next to the spot welds. be careful not to go into the "good" part. You can then start removing the pieces and sort of peel back the parts you want gone. When you get to a spot weld, just wiggle and twist the metal til it breaks off. Then gently grind til flush. I don't like to drill spot welds because some times you end up with about 4 or 5 holes for one spot welded area and a bigger mess than if you grinded it flush.
Just try to think of the pieces as a sardine can and you are peeling back the top (the part you want removed). Slicing with the cut off tool will get you "started". Then a seperation lift with a screwdriver, and then the ole pull with pliers.

Hope thie helps ........oh yeah, go slow and do a good job!
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
paintpyro

Hey Earl, you gettin plenty of work now that the season has started?
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
ebfabman

Oh yeah. With all the work, my projects, and the baby.......not much sleep But who needs it.........right???
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:39 PM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Thanks guys. I did drill all the way through, but as ebfabman pointed out I have been careful to not create more work for myself. I will plug weld the holes that I drilled.

I just went at lunch and bought a high tensil strength chisel for steel. I will beat the snot out of it later today!

It is 54 and sunny here today!! That is as warm as it has been since a day in January.....
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote