The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
abilityonline

68 Chevy c 50 Dump question

I picked up a 68 C50 dump truck 2 years ago that was abandoned at a foreclosure I bought. I've finally got it to my house and I'm trying to figure how the PTO works so I can see if it works (I don't think it does).

With the truck in neutral and the clutch in, I shift the closest floor shift into gear. This engages the PTO drive shaft (I can see it spinning) I let the clutch out and the bed just stays in place.

a few questions to the wisest of you.
1. How/Where do I find the level of Hydrolic in the system?
2. The second floor shift is loose and easily goes back and forth, is this normal? I'm pretty sure this second shaft is for after the PTO is enganged.

Anybody with comments, I'd love to here from you!

Thanks again

Chad
abilityonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: 68 Chevy c 50 Dump question

When the PTO is turning it will not lift the bed right away, it turns the hydraulic pump. There is another control/ lever, maybe outside of the cab that will lift and return the bed. There is also a fluid reseroir that may need to be filled. It usually looks like a box with a couple of hoses going to and from it, and a screw cap on top of it
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
abilityonline

There is a second floor column that appears should initiate the bed to lift after the drive shaft has been engaged. This second column runs through the floorboards and controls a little piston that is either pushed in or out of the PTO. This linkage is intact and drives the piston. However there is no lift. Above the PTO and under the bed there is a reservoir. I'm assuming this is for hydrolic fluid. it has a drain at the bottom but I haven't located where to fill it. I'd imagine on top but it is difficult to access the top from below.

Thanks again.

Any other suggestions are always welcome
Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

The second floor shifter should move the bed, you may have to hold it for a while beforei t does anything, as it hasnt been used in years.

Miss having a truck

Last edited by thirdstreettito; 02-07-2009 at 10:09 PM.
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
71swb4x4

It sounds to me like that lever only turns your PTO on. You need to find the lever that controls the actual pump for the lift cylinder.

On my dump, I have one lever to turn the PTO on, and a second to lift or lower the bed.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

are you able to provide photos of your set up?
Welcome to the board
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
abilityonline

Still no luck. Here are the pictures. You'll see a gear shift, hand brake, Red bar (engages PTO), Black Bar (drives a piston in and out).

I'd like to get this truck back going if it's economical but I've never worked on a PTO and don't know where to start. I can see the linkage to the PTO spinning so I know it is good to that point. It may be a matter of hydraulics. I can't even see where to check hydraulic fluid levels.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
71swb4x4

What a greasy mess! I am guessing you are low on fluid. I would try to jack the bed up, without getting between the bed and frame of course! It should jack up with the piston open I would think???? The tank can easily be checked once the bed is up. Make sure you block the bed so it doesn't fall down!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

sounds like you have the operation figured out... just need to find out where the fluid goes.
While it is supposed to work at idle, did you try revving the engine as you pushed/pulled the lever?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Skirkpat

Since you can see fresh hydrolic fluid dripping on the last picture, you will probably have to fill the system, probably not good to run it untill you do.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
abilityonline

Yes it is a mess! HA I will clean it up so I can better trace where a leak may be located at. However those pictures, that's actually water as it was raining at the time.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
abilityonline

Thats all it was hydraulic fluid. I put 5 gallons in and it still didn't fill the tank! I'll need to add another gallon. Thanks a ton for the suggestions they were spot on. Now I need to figure out why there is no brakes (Master Cylinder is full but it the pedal travels to the floor with no resistance, may need to be bleed) and get this ready for the road.