The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Chlsnk

Compatiable years of steering columns?

My column broke and i'm going to be going down to the local pick and pull today to get a new one. My question will any automatic column shift 73-87 column work and bolt right into my 84 2WD pickup? Are 2WD and 4WD columns the same?
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Compatiable years of steering columns?

Chlsnk: The colunms should fit without difficulty. Be aware though that IF you get a colunm out of a later model you may wind up with one that had a 4 speed automatic in it and you don't want that because in 84 there were only 3 speeds available if memory serves. If you can only get a 4 speed one you will have to strip the upper half of both and change the detent plate where the shift handle tab fits into it. 2 or 4 WD will not make a difference. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

Also the reverse light switch connector is different on some models, I swapped a '91 burban column into my old '84 longbed theft recovery and had to use the old switch because they were different.

71 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed Stepside
81 GMC 1500 Sierra Classic Long Bed
71Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Chlsnk

Well no luck on finding a column today and I guess the search goes on. Im about fed up with it though and am about to rig up a toyota ignition and just make it driveable because walking sucks in the winter here!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
sierra4x4

The main differance in columns is that 73-82 or 83 had the wipers on the dash and the dimmer switch on the floor and the newer ones like yours has it all on the column.
sierra4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Actually there are several differences. I can't remember where the year breaks are, but the differences include the lower shaft, the wiring connectors, and the wiper/washer on the stalk. You can swap parts and pieces to make older columns work, but be aware that it might not just "bolt in".

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
no1uno55

what is broken in your column?
no1uno55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Actually there are several differences. I can't remember where the year breaks are, but the differences include the lower shaft, the wiring connectors, and the wiper/washer on the stalk. You can swap parts and pieces to make older columns work, but be aware that it might not just "bolt in".
Yea we tried to put a 73-80 column in a 81 and it didn't match the firewall
or something to that effect.
We didn't get as far as hooking up the wiring.
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Chlsnk

Ah I see! And the ignition rack selector (pot metal piece) and the ignition ears are broken off and I don't want to use that ignition because im worried my key may break and twist off in the ignition so I dont want that to happen. I would like to wire in a toyota ignition I have under the dash and by pass the ignition on the column for the time being until I can get a hold of a new column. I am really tired of walkin at this point.

Does any one have a wiring diagram for the ignition wires?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Be aware though that IF you get a colunm out of a later model you may wind up with one that had a 4 speed automatic in it and you don't want that because in 84 there were only 3 speeds available if memory serves. If you can only get a 4 speed one you will have to strip the upper half of both and change the detent plate where the shift handle tab fits into it. 2 or 4 WD will not make a difference. jim
My '82 K5 has the OD shift pattern although the orange finger is missing. That isn't to say someone didn't replace the cluster in my truck at some point; they jimmy rigged everything else?

BUT, I think OD started in '82.

I was under the impression that the shift "detents" were a function of the transmission not the column? If you put a OD column in a 3sp truck it will still shift just find but the orange finger/indicator will be off? And vice-versa?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
no1uno55

the ignition switch is very easy to change out and less than 15 bucks with keys at most parts stores. and the rack selector also under 15 bucks is not that bad just take your time and fix yours.
no1uno55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Dooley

GM started offering OD Automatics in 1982 in the light trucks. That said, my 1988 V30 2 dr regular cab pickup has a 3 speed T400 from the factory.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote