The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
6600DURAMAX

Unhappy Vintage Air and March Pulleys

I have a BBC with March Pulleys Performance set (Crank,wp,alt, and PS pullies) I ordered a vintage air kit and now think I am running into issues.

I originally thought I could use all my pulleys and just buy the additional a/c pulley. What the March Pulley guy is telling me is I will have to replace all my existing pulleys since I have the performance set which has a 5 3/4'' crank pulley and 6 1/4'' water pump pulley. The a/c set needs to have a 7'' crank pulley and 5 1/4 water pump pulley.

Is he for real, that would mean I have to buy basically an entire new kit . I really cant afford another $700!!

What are my options here guys?? ??? Does anyone run a vintage air kit with the pulleys I have??

Help before I get this AC

OH ya, The compressor I had coming also wont work it needs to be a Sanden 7 series?? Unless I mount it on the pass side

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: Vintage Air and March Pulleys

I dont know if my info is going to help you much but here it goes.
I have a sb400 and I bought my a/c kit from classic auto air and did not have any issues at all. When I ordered my a/c kit I did tell the guys that I was using a march pulley set and he then told me that I was going to have to use a different compressor "Sandem" I think is called if I remember correctly. Here is a pict of my set up. Good Luck and if you have not bought the kit yet I would really look hard at the kit designed for our trucks from classic auto air.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

I know the Performance series pulleys slow down the water pump and alt, creating less drag, hence the additional performance.

Problems you most likely will have is with these slower rotational speeds, the A/C compressor may not spin fast enough and the A/C won't cool the interior enough. Also since you are spinning the water pump slower, A/C condensor (part in front of the radiator) pulls the heat out which now creates hot air going thru the radiator causing the water temp to rise up. That is why most system have a secondary electric fan that is triggered when the A/C is on.

Add to the fact that BBC tend to run hotter then a SBC, I don't think he is BS'ing you. Yep, it sucks but this is one reason I try to plan all of my mods before I ever buy one part, even if I won't be buying a specific items for a while. This way I don't throw away good money or parts or buy something to get me by until I get the real parts I needed.

Good luck.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post
I have a BBC with March Pulleys Performance set (Crank,wp,alt, and PS pullies) I ordered a vintage air kit and now think I am running into issues.

I originally thought I could use all my pulleys and just buy the additional a/c pulley. What the March Pulley guy is telling me is I will have to replace all my existing pulleys since I have the performance set which has a 5 3/4'' crank pulley and 6 1/4'' water pump pulley. The a/c set needs to have a 7'' crank pulley and 5 1/4 water pump pulley.

Is he for real, that would mean I have to buy basically an entire new kit . I really cant afford another $700!!

What are my options here guys?? ??? Does anyone run a vintage air kit with the pulleys I have??

Help before I get this AC

OH ya, The compressor I had coming also wont work it needs to be a Sanden 7 series?? Unless I mount it on the pass side
I was going to run vintage air but I have decided to modify my cab a little bit on the firewall (i already have a ac dash installed) to run factory air and for all intents and purposes i will have a factory air cab. By the time all is said and done i will have a factory air swb with power brakes and power steering. I am all for custom but i like it to look like it was loaded off of the show room floor. Only bad part is there is no way to change the vin from CS to CE. Not to mention the Vintage air is 1200 and I got my factory air for 500 complete

Last edited by jbristo67; 02-10-2009 at 05:03 PM.
jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
6600DURAMAX

I agree with you JBristo67 but unfortunatly we cant all predict the future. I am stuck with the mess I have I am just needing to figure out the most cost effective way to solve the problem

Anyone want a March performance pulley setup, I will sell mine then buy the setup for A/C

Any other options out there ????????

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years

Last edited by 6600DURAMAX; 02-10-2009 at 06:25 PM.
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
john
member #16

See if you can sell them on the parts board. Discount the price a tad and they should sell.
john is offline   Reply With Quote