The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
mistertrose

Interior Question - Seats

Not sure if this goes in Paint and Body, but I did not see another place. Please move if needed.

I have a 1968 C10 Stepside that I am building. As I browse pictures and builds on this site, I see numerous types of bucket and bench seats.

I am changing over from a early 90's bench seat (from previous owner) to a set of bucket seats. Gas tank has already been relocated out of cab. My question is, what model donor seats are the easiest bolts ins? I want them to be relatively low as I am tall and my knees are in the steering wheel. Any and all advise is appreciated.

Do S10 seats work well? Car seats? or ????

Thanks,

TR
mistertrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
HuggerCST

Re: Interior Question - Seats

I moved it for you. I think you'll get better feedback here.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I have a set of ~03 Subaru Legacy/Outback seats in my '67 that were virtually a bolt in fit. They sit lower than a stock bench but not too low. Plus, they're heated and fully adjustable.
Attached Images

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 02-09-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Gumby'sC20

I believe all GM trucks and SUV's seat rail bolt patterns are all the same if not very similar.

Therefore any GM truck seating product should make a nice upgrade
Gumby'sC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

more important that the height, you'll want something that has a thin back. For every inch you lose to the seatback... it'll feel like 2 inches in leg room.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
mistertrose

I learned that real quick. A friend of mine has some power bucket seats out of a newer model Z71. I thought these would be a great fit since they had the shoulder belts built in (I have a 2 yr old who loves to RIDE), plus I saw someone running these without the center console. WRONG! The backs were too deep and base too long.

I could probably cut the bases down and lose the power option, but I might as well start with another seat from another model.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
mistertrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I have a set of ~03 Subaru Legacy/Outback seats in my '67 that were virtually a bolt in fit. They sit lower than a stock bench but not too low. Plus, they're heated and fully adjustable.
Those seats look DAMN good in that truck. Thats what I am looking for. I will have to make sure I keep my eye out for those or something similar.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Here's mine. Black leather bucket's out of a Mercury Marauder. They're 6-way power but they are really huge. I took some fabrication and welding to the mounts (est. 20 minutes each) and the drilling of new holes. Like I said they are huge though. I will also have a custom made console that meets up with the underside of a dash and flows into a custom enclosure that's molded to the back wall.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote