The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
6T8&O-her-1

1986 full size chevy truck column in 68 c10 question

Today I acquired a steering column out of a 1986 full sized Chevy truck. The Straight Collapsible shaft looks Identical to the Collapsible shaft in my 68 C10 except how it connects to the actual column. Overall length and mounting to the steering box appears to be the same..
The Column is Tilt, was Free, so I snagged it. My question is I can see the wiper, signal controls and all that are on the column from the 86, and those controls are mostly on the Dash of the C10. I also see the harnesses are different so is there a way to match or punch (Connect Wiper to wiper, signal to signal, Ignition to Present in dash ignition/ wiring) from the Column to the /C10 Harness and remove the old switches but have everything working from the column ?? Or if someone out there has a wiring diagram of the steering column for a 1986 truck and a diagram for a 68 C10 with the color codes and assignment for each wire? Has anyone on here done such a Swap?
86 column in a 68?
thanks
6T8&O-her-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Loki

Re: 1986 full size chevy truck column in 68 c10 question

Recently picked up and 86 donor for my 67 will be attempting the same thing in a couple of weeks, ill let you know what i find, If u come up w/ a solution. please let me know..
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would look at the physical part of the swap first... if you are OK with cutting the bottom of the dash up, and if you can get it secured in there... the electrical can be figured out later.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
6T8&O-her-1

I certainly will... The mechanical part i am not too worried about since it shouldn't take too much to modify it to make it work, I want to get the electrical mods on paper or just get a heads up on the wire splicing.

I just finished fabricating brackets for the prelude seats I have. I was considering using stock chevy seatbelts but the seat have the receiving latch built into the seat so I will pull a set of belts out of a lude tomorrow. My plan is to post a complete write up as to how I installed my seats and measured everything, centered and leveled each seat. I will include Measurements and Angles. I am sure theres a million ways to make bucket seat mounts, but my way was quick and simple. I finished the drivers seat today. I loaned my Argon tank out to a friend so I had to crank up the old Lincoln stick welder. Its times like these when you really miss the Millermatic.
I'll keep yall posted.
6T8
Old 02-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
6T8&O-her-1

ha ha...I'll cut anything but a windshield....unless I had 2 of them....