The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
chevroletrucks

engine mounts

I recently bought a 70 K20, or at least a 70 cab sitting on a 71 or 72 frame as it has factory disc brakes. Upon inspecting the truck the engine crossmember has been torched into 2 pieces leaving only the perches attached to the frame. I think they did this due to lowering the transfer case to make room for the oil pan at an angle? Does anybody have a pic of what this crossmember should look like? I'm in the process of de-rigging this truck and need to find a new crossmember.
Thanks
chevroletrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
pseigmund

Re: engine mounts

I have a 1970 c-20, 4X4 with a 292 6 cyl. Does your truck have a small block or inline 6? I think the cross member is different for V8's and 6 cylinders. I know the frame mounts are different. I can take a picture of mine when I get home tonight and send it to you. I also have a 1970 c-10 with a 350 but the crossmember and the frame are the same for a 3/4 ton.

Pete
pseigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
pseigmund

Hi,

I attached some pictures of my 70 chevy crossmember with a 6 cylinder (292). I am not sure if the small block crossmember is the same. I know the frame stand part of the mounts are different. JC Whitneys and other places sell after market tubular crossmembers for small blocks. 2X4's didn't use a crossmember mount set up because the suspension is different (coil springs vs. leaf springs). I will take a look at my c-10 with a small block in it this weekend and let you know if they are different (it is at a friend's house).

Good luck,
Pete
Attached Images

pseigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
chevroletrucks

The truck has a smallblock in it. Thats what the crossmember resembles, at least what is left of it. Now I just need to locate a new one. For some reason they tried to lower the transfer case with 1" square stock and this put the engine at an angle and I think thats why they cut the crossmember. By cutting the crossmember it allows clearance for the oil pan. I'm just not sure why they lowered the transfercase for a 4" lift? I cant imagine it did that much for the driveshaft angle with that little lift. Thank-You for the pics. Much appreciated!
chevroletrucks is offline   Reply With Quote