The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Picture This

I`m ponderin`again.Let me try to keep thi8s simple...I had plans for various trucks and things took a turn a few years ago.I`m still adjusting as I realize what I really need and can use is more important than building an ultimate this or that.I had 2wd pro-street stepside and resto-mod fleetside `67shortbeds,camper-hauling k/20,restored/showy/loaded`72 K/20 CheyenneSuper CustomCamper,Burly offroad capable`72 K/30,short`71 K/30 trail rig,as well as others planned.
It`s come down to selling some and narrowing it down to the camper-haulin` K/20,short`71 K/30,and the`67 resto-mod.The 2wd is being built with traveling on my mind.Nothing so custom that it could hang me up miles from home.The K/20 may still haul a camper if I can buy one.But,it`s my general purpose truck for whatever,including working out of when my work truck is down.I wanted the short 4wd to be my total toy.Gnarly goin`down the road/better suited off road no B.S. 4wd.
I was going to make both trucks run 35s,but run 4" lift on the 3/4t so I could run tall skinnies,too.I want it to just be a healthy 3/4t,but keep it respectable.I`m thinking to switch my direction around and put the 6" springs I have on the 3/4t and go another direction with the short 4wd.I doubt I`ll be doing alot of serious wheeling to justify what i want and I don`t have the money to do it for "just in case" anymore(like I used to).the 3/4t has an automatic and 3.54s.I don`t want to run 35-37" tires with those axles.So,I`m thinking put those under the short 4wd and go with either the 4.10 1t set or 3/4t set I have under the 3/4t.
Picture this one...
`71 shortbed Stepside 3/4t 4wd:
*4" lift
*285/75 or 255/85 16" M/T on stock 8-lug wheels w/hubcaps
*Large hub D44 Tru-Trac/D60 Power-Loc 3.54
*292/4spd/205
*Winch
*I`ll have a set of wide tires & wheels for different terrain(Black round holes)

I want a regular old truck restored and tight to bop around in that`s stockish but set-up like someone might have back in the day.Something you`d want up at the cabin on the lake.I`ve spotted a liitle camper top that I can salvage on a`67 Stepside.
The 3/4t,actually my`72 K2500:
*6" lift w/crossover steering
*12.50/35-37 on turbines,Slots,and wide oem steels w/caps
*D60 TruTrac/HO52 No-Spin 4.10(or,another set of`72 4.10s)
*350(383 @ sometime)/4L80E/NP241
*I want a long Stepside w/utility boxes and sell my bed

I want an all-around good ole hard workin`good lookin`do everything truck.Set up to tow/haul/build those cabins up on the lake out of.Or,load the camper on and camp at some other lake.Or...I`ll get the axles and lift done on this truck.Then,get around to swapping the trans after I get it out of the`91 Suburban that I`m pating out.It won`t take much to get it painted and I`ll be done.I`ll end up with a K3500 Sierra Grande with a proper O/D automatic and a locker.The short one will start up with the cast-off axles,which have all new brakes,bearings,seals,ball-joints,steering box,drag link,etc.
The little`67 2wd...well you guys don`t care about street trucks,right?I just want to design my future trucks around my actual uses and keep them forever.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-14-2009 at 12:31 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Picture This

Sounds like good plans for both the 71 and the 72. Nothing to wild - useable and dependable is where it is at.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Sounds like good plans for both the 71 and the 72. Nothing to wild - useable and dependable is where it is at.
What he said.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I`m just trying to tone it down and keep it simple.Look at overall expense and use,too.I want to use them.That`s how it is in my dream world,I just have the old trucks.
I was thinking 2"-3" lift with the shortbed.But,4" still looks good with 285s and I can squeee 35s on for a floatation set.Once you get into the 35+ range it`s hard to do tall skinny.Even 285/85s are more like a notch below 12.50/35s in profile,tall and a bit wide compared to 12.50/33s.I think I want BFG M/Ts in 255/85 on stock wheels.I already have a set I bought new and had powdercoated white years ago.Then get 285/75 SSRs on some 8" wheels and 12.50/35s can be swapped between the two trucks.
I want the little truck to be a classic that`s capable and gets used.The gears are as tall as I`d want,they are in my K2500 now with 12.50/33s.It`ll have the 4spd and I can just run along at a steady rpm on the hiway.Prolly get 15ish is what I`d like.I get 12.5 with the wider tires,350,and automatic.I want to keep this so I can run normal size tires.That`s my biggest reason for change.285s can be had for cheap in a variety of makes.You get into 35s and it`s the novelty market.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
vtblazer

...now all you gotta do is, do it!

It all makes sense Tim, forget the dedicated this or extreme that and build em to drive.

I've walked the same road, all I want now is to build em so I can drive em!
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,first I had to figure this out.Everytime I`d want to do something,it hinges on something else.I needed to get this sorted out.I think I got it.It would be cool to have this big and awesome short stepside with all the beefy parts.But,i doubt I`ll be able to dedicate enough time to wheelin`it and the rest of the time I`d have this thing that`s tougher than the longbed 3/4t workhorse.I originally had a Dana60 for each truck so that wasn`t an issue.It went from that to where I wanted to at least keep one for trails.The set I have are 4.10s and I really liked how my old blue & white 3/4t was(that was supposed to get 1t axles) with 35s and 4.10s.I may even swap the 4spd in the white truck and use the 4L80E with the 292 in the shortbed for more travelability(?).Not sure about that.i kinda like the idea of the shortbed being simple and old-timey feeling and the longbed being a well optioned truck with more comforts,more up to date feeling.I`ll be using it for work when i want,also.
I just need the rear springs for the white truck and incidentals to lift it and put the 35s off the`91 on it(or the 37s you sold me)...phase 1.Then,get the axles ready to swap...phase 2.Once that`s done I can start the shortbed.I will probably get the shortbed body all bolted together without touching any body work.Just get it all on one footprint/parking space so if I need to stash it I can.If work doesn`t pick up,I doubt I can buy my wife out and keep the house.On the same token,I doubt I`ll qualify for another mortgage the way my income`s been.I`m still tryin`to get her half of the house and call it even.Just don`t know what I can count on.

Tim

Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
...now all you gotta do is, do it!

It all makes sense Tim, forget the dedicated this or extreme that and build em to drive.

I've walked the same road, all I want now is to build em so I can drive em!
Yup, thats the way I'm building my K10.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
liftmeup

keep it simple.. ok lets start off building 3 trucks Special-k your my kind of guy. When Toning it down consists of 3 builds + a full time job.
liftmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Well,not exactly.I`m more like part time (unfortunately) and the projects seem more like dreams these days.I just found some rear springs for the 3/4t.One step closer.I`ll just need,u-bolts,shocks,grade8 hardware,shackles,and brake lines.

I try not to announce I`m doin` this or that because things change.But,this seemed to help me think this through.I have to do something! One thing that keeps bouncing back and forth is my`91 Suburban.It`s been sitting since 6/06 needing motor work.Also in 6/06 a guy ran into the front and bent up the bumper,left fender,and busted the grille.The left rear 1/4 is caved in from 4 wheelin`,it`s now has holes in the rockers to the back with it about to bust through behind the rear tires.
I really liked this vehicle.It`s so ideal for me.The thing is,I can get a decent Suburban like it for $2-3 grand.A loaded silverado,mines a worktruck.I like it being a base truck,but wtf,it`s not like your payin`for the comforts.I could either get a 2wd and set it on the frame or get another 4wd and swap my suspension and trans in.Mine`s a MFI diesel and has a 4L80E with it`s own ECM mated to a NP241,4" EZ-Rides,RSX9000s,and I had just put a custom 3" dual exhaust on it.So,I could have an instant nice 73-91 Suburban easy.But,that`s why it has sat,no dough.I`ve thought about taking cast-off 69-72 parts and making an easy K/20 longbed Stepside.
But...that`s another project.So,I`ve decided to stop going round with this and just take the stuff out from under/out of it and junk it.I can still get that Suburban later and I`ll have the stuff.I could get a 1/2t with a 700R4 and put the 3/4t stuff on it.That`ll be good enough.I want the 4L80E in my`72 GMC.Or,maybe find another`91 3/4t to get the same set-up again.Gas or diesel would be fine.

Tim