The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #26
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Re: need advise: driveshaft problems i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
sorry i lol'd at eyeballed the hell out of it. even if the shaft was perfectly straight, (we dont let car driveshafts exceed .002" on the stub) the one from the factory wasnt, and it was ballanced to compensate for the runout from the factory. so no matter what you do it will vibrate.

so are your yokes/u-joints in time? that can also cause a vibration.

the only way the shaft will ever be right is to take it to a pro have them straghten it if they can, and ballance both pieces together, mark the way they were ballanced and put them back in the truck using the marks.

im not pickin on you, i do this every day and their is no way i could build a decent driveshaft without the specalized tools.
thats ok if you lol'd at the "i eyeballed the hell out of it" cuz i did the same thing every time i told somebody about it. the yokes should be in time cuz i took the driveshaft to him all together and he took it apart, fixed it and put it back together.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #27
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
u-joints should never have any play in them!!! well the crap that precision makes has about .030 endplay when new....
trans yoke will have a little play.

make sure the keepers are in the ujoints properly.
the keepers are in the u-joints correctly i guess that i will change that front one out cuz of the play it has and because i just realized that its about 3 years old now that i think about it, and hopefully this will fix my problem or at least make it a little better
Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
brad_man_72
the boat guy

be sure to stay away from the precision brand, alot of parts houses rebox them with their own box.
get neapco, dana or spicer the non greasable ones are the best for non off road aplications.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #29
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

well i got a new u joint put in my truck and it pretty much solved my driveshaft problem. i still have a really small slight vibration but not nearly as bad as it was and i dont think it is the driveshaft anymore but something else causing it. thanks for all the help, you guys are great and thats why i love this place so much