The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

interior dye

hey guys, i am wanting to paint the inside of my truck dark blue. i tryed spray paint, but it keep chipping and peeling. ive heard some good things about dyeing the doorpanels and such. so where is the place to buy some? how much? how hard is it to do?

thanks
jrsmith
2006 Chevy Cobalt-college car, staying stock

Whatever can't get fixed with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, a clothes hanger, a tube of glue, and a case of beer, can wait until tomorrow.
jrsmith_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
jdurant

Re: interior dye

I have often had the same question. I would like to see what others use as well. But, I have used Sems plastic/vinyl paint to good affect. I have wondered about that ColorBond stuff that LMC sells. It is a spray on dye according to the ad. They make some pretty bold claims about it. Haven't had the chance to try it though.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You might find this interesting-LINK

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I like SEM Brand. You can buy it at eastwood. Make sure to get the vinyl/plastic prep. I used around 3.5 to 4 cans of dye to about 1 can of prep.

Here's some of my results with SEM.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 10-17-2008 at 10:03 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Traction

First, let me say that I have used SEM and ColorBond. The KEY thing is to get the surface clean and properly prepped.

I have recently started using a cheaper alternative. For the plastic parts on mine I used Krylon Fusion semi gloss black. It is a paint for plastic and doesn't need any primer or adhesion promoter. I still cleaned everything with dish soap and a scotch brite pad. I painted my interior pieces for my current truck and for a daily driver I had a few years ago. On the daily driver I used Fusion brushed nickel color. It lasted great and looked factory.

What I love about this stuff is that it retains the factory texture, it is quick and easy, and it is available everywhere...I buy mine at ace hardware.

For the vinyl and carpet parts I used the duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye in a can. It came out great too, but I haven't installed yet so I cannot speak for its' durability.

When I install everything I wil post up some pics.
Traction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Richard D

I used LMC Truck's dye, came out great.
http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/CC/full.aspx?Page=109
Check out the thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=306974

Last edited by Richard D; 10-20-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
jlmerie

I have used the Colorbond product for a couple of consoles that I have done. I agree that, as usual, the prep work is key to a good finish. I really liked the dye aspect of this. I think it looks noticeably better than paint. It looks the same as it came from the factory. My two cents.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
6772fan

Another vote for SEM brand. It's a bit pricey but worth it. As already stated several times, preparation is the key.........

1979 Chevy SWB- (Second owner- Father in Law was first)

1979 Chevy Silverado SWB-Red/Red
6772fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
jdurant

I'm still confused though. I've always thought that by definition a dye changed the color of something by saturating/soaking in or actually changing the color of it rather than covering. A dye is closer to a stain, than a paint. Seems like you shouldn't be able to peel off a dye.
I just looked at a SEM can that I have which was recommended by the automotive paint supply. It's called Sem's color coat for plastic, vinyl, velour, and carpet. It says it isn't a dye. I've never actually seen anything that said dye on the can. Are yall using something different?
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurant View Post
i'm still confused though. I've always thought that by definition a dye changed the color of something by saturating/soaking in or actually changing the color of it rather than covering. A dye is closer to a stain, than a paint. Seems like you shouldn't be able to peel off a dye.
I just looked at a sem can that i have which was recommended by the automotive paint supply. It's called sem's color coat for plastic, vinyl, velour, and carpet. It says it isn't a dye. I've never actually seen anything that said dye on the can. Are yall using something different?
x2
2006 Chevy Cobalt-college car, staying stock

Whatever can't get fixed with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, a clothes hanger, a tube of glue, and a case of beer, can wait until tomorrow.
jrsmith_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #11
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurant View Post
I'm still confused though. I've always thought that by definition a dye changed the color of something by saturating/soaking in or actually changing the color of it rather than covering. A dye is closer to a stain, than a paint. Seems like you shouldn't be able to peel off a dye.
I just looked at a SEM can that I have which was recommended by the automotive paint supply. It's called Sem's color coat for plastic, vinyl, velour, and carpet. It says it isn't a dye. I've never actually seen anything that said dye on the can. Are yall using something different?

No I used the stuff you're talking about. The SEM I used says its a flexible coating and not a dye. I just call it dye from habit, I call it dye if it's for vinyl of fabrics, etc..
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
jdurant

So, is that it? When everyone says they are using dye, they are really just using flexible paint. I was really hoping this thread would be more informative than that.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
bigblock73
yeller

SEM is a paint, but everyone seems to call it a dye. It will be dang near impossible to dye large interior pieces unless you have a tub or bin to fill with boiling water and RIT and let the pieces soak. Dying (is that spelled right) can actually be harmful to plastics due to what they have to go thru to change colors. Read a bottle of RIT and see what it has to say.

I don't think anything that sprays on can be considered a dye or work like one.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

I used krylons adhesion promotor before I painted my interior.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Richard D

Try it, I think you'll like it.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
blk81shrt

Lets say my dash pad has a crack (which it does) and I fixed it with bondo/fiberglass and then I used the dye on it? Would it mess up the finish? My panels still have the paint from the factory- they are looking a little messed up!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk81shrt View Post
Lets say my dash pad has a crack (which it does) and I fixed it with bondo/fiberglass and then I used the dye on it?
Yes! The vinyl dye( or plastic paint) being discussed WILL NOT cover repairs. The repairs will not allow you to duplicate the factory grain so there will be a smooth spot.

I don't know why it referred to as "dying" your interior rather than painting, but it has been that way as long as I remember. Yes it says paint on the can, but ask an interior expert to "paint" your interior and see how he looks at you.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
blk81shrt

I just looked at the SEM site, there is a vinyl repair compound, I think I will get my hands on that, and then use the 'dye' to paint it afterward. Here is the link to the repair compounds:

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=194

any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk81shrt View Post
I just looked at the SEM site, there is a vinyl repair compound....any thoughts?
Yes, my thoughts are it will show. Please read my response, especially the part about "The repairs will not allow you to duplicate the factory grain so there will be a smooth spot.
"...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #20
blk81shrt

Ya, I agree with you N2TRUX, thats what I figured, but after reading through the site, I think I will give it a shot. The instructions read:

"...Once complete, the repair may be topcoated. Use COLOR COAT or SURE-COAT for vinyl repairs or SURE-COAT for leather repairs."

Although it doesnt say anything about the quality of the results, hopefully I can fix my dash or only a couple bills!

Now I will just have to find somewhere that carries this stuff!!

Last edited by blk81shrt; 02-16-2009 at 10:26 PM.
blk81shrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #21
andrewmp6

The key is to clean the parts good and use a wax and grease remover after a good washing if not it won't stick for long.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
chevyrestoguy

Clean, clean, and then clean the part again with Ting (light grit cleaner you can buy it at almost any auto body supply stores) and a mild Scotchbrite and a bristle brush. Wipe the part with wax and grease remover and let dry. Light coats of SEM. Never go too heavy on any coats or it will bury the grain and make the part look smooth and shiny. A little paint (dye) goes a long way. SEM products may appear expensive, but they are worth every penny.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
maxreps

Thumbs up Re: interior dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
clean, clean, and then clean the part again with ting (light grit cleaner you can buy it at almost any auto body supply stores) and a mild scotchbrite and a bristle brush. Wipe the part with wax and grease remover and let dry. Light coats of sem. Never go too heavy on any coats or it will bury the grain and make the part look smooth and shiny. A little paint (dye) goes a long way. Sem products may appear expensive, but they are worth every penny.

+1 !!
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

i have used the SEM products on my interior to "paint" it close to the color that i am going for when i actually "redo" my interior. i had never used it before. After using it i will say that it worked to my satisfaction, i feel i am pretty picky too (lol). i think the key is like stated above..... preparation. i also remember that it is a "paint" therefore i try not to do to much "bumping & grinding" when working on the interior....

good luck!!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

My vote is for SEM. I applied it to my interior almost 20 years ago. Looks as good as the day it rolled off the showroom floor.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote