The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
ulakovic22

Drum Brakes

Hey everyone, I've never done drum brakes before so I searched on here and just random stuff on yahoo and got an idea of what I should do. I finished up tonight and took some pics with my cell to see if I did it right. Also if there is a FAQ or something on changing drums on here can you please link it because I didn't have much luck.

Thanks!

P.S. I got rid of the emergency brake stuff so if you notice a bracket and a dogbone missing it's on purpose. If I didn't do it right let me know.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Drum Brakes

From the looks of the brake shoes, it looks like you may not need to do them yet.

Anyway, you Basically start dismantling by pulling the springs off and retainers on the shoes. You have good pics so you can put everything back the way it was. Pretty cut and dry.

Some people use the special brake tools that you can buy at auto parts stores but I usually use vise grips to remove and replace the springs. I also use a pair of duck bills for the retianer cap removal and replacement.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
ulakovic22

Sorry for the confusion, but I already did them and I was asking someone to check my work. I've never done them before so I just looked at some pics and did the best I could.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
lordhelmet

Here's a pick I took of mine before dismantle....
Attached Images

lordhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
grayw0lf

You've already done one of the best things off the start, & thats the pics. Its also helpful to du just 1 side at a time.
I've used special tools, but I actually prefer to use just a plain old pair of needle nose pliers & a 6" thin screwdriver. The screwdriver bends slightly & makes it easier to reinstall the springs.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
Sorry for the confusion, but I already did them and I was asking someone to check my work. I've never done them before so I just looked at some pics and did the best I could.

Gotch.. In that case look carefully at this pic and compare. The only thing I notice in your pic is the spring that pulls on the drum on the left side seems to be binding. Not sure why.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
MrC1
Dork For Days

It looks like you forgot the cross bar thingie (forgot the name, so that's the technical term I'm going with). It keeps the shoes from collapsing too far together and sits just below the wheel cylinder. It has a sring on one side, wrapped around the bar.
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1 View Post
It looks like you forgot the cross bar thingie (forgot the name, so that's the technical term I'm going with). It keeps the shoes from collapsing too far together and sits just below the wheel cylinder. It has a sring on one side, wrapped around the bar.
Parking brake strut/lever. He said he removed the parking brake stuff. Not sure if that's what makes it seem like it's binding.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

A couple of things.
It appears that you have two primary shoes on the backing plate. The front shoe should be the one with less material on it and the rear should be the one with the most.
Look at lordhelmet's picture and you'll see what I mean. If all four of your shoes are the same then it shouldn't matter.
I hope you plan on running the emergency brake cause if you lose the hydraulic action you may need to stop and can't, then you'll wish you had them.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
ulakovic22

Thanks for the pics guys that really helped. All four are the same thickness so I hope I'm ok there. I did notice that the black spring is binding and it's because I put the "thing" on upside down. My hook is in on the bottom and ya'lls is on the top. I'm gonna swap sides and hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for the pics.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
Thanks for the pics guys that really helped. All four are the same thickness so I hope I'm ok there. I did notice that the black spring is binding and it's because I put the "thing" on upside down. My hook is in on the bottom and ya'lls is on the top. I'm gonna swap sides and hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for the pics.
Ya I noticed that yesterday, but I didn't know what the "thing" was called, so I didn't reply. Glad u figured it out!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
68gmsee

One more thing I noticed. The small piece that's called the shoe guide seems to be somewhat off center in your pic. Make sure it's all the way in and flush on the stude.

FYI: Also, it's not the thickness of the shoe that VetteVet was referring to. It's the length of the material on the shoe. Usually there's two lengths a short and a long. Look at the pics on the examples. But, if the length is the same on all of them, then there's nothing to worry about -it's just that some manufacturers make them differently.