The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
maxreps

Tach problem

I have an autogage 5" tach by Autometer and MSD 6A box as well as the msd tach adapter box. When the truck is idling the tach reads 0 but it is responsive to revving and driving. It just appears to be off by whatever the idle speed is... I've gone through the wiring and verified hookup for both boxes and the tach, even ran the tach signal wire directly to the 6A box bypassing the adapter but no change. It's reading but reading about 800-900rpm low. Ideas or should I just contact MSD first, then Autometer?
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Tach problem

I'm going to ask a really dumb question. Does the tach have a 4, 6, 8 switch on it someplace? My Sun tach does and it drove me nuts for a while. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
maxreps

No it has the wire loops that you have to cut if you have a 6cyl or 4cyl but if it's an 8cyl you leave them alone...
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Pyrotechnic

I run an Autogage 5" monster tach with a 6A box and no adapter. Hooked right up the tach terminal on the box.

I believe the MSD manual said I would need the tach adapter for anything Autogage, but I used a small Autogage 3 and 3/8' tach and the 5" tach I currently have now, and they both work without the adapter with no issues.

See if you can borrow a spare tach to try with it.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 02-20-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
maxreps

yeah I think I'll try to find a tach to try temporarily... after reading some of the info I have on my MSD a while back some of the autometer stuff needed it and others didn't. So that is why I tried with/without the adapter. I'm gonna try again without to be sure.. then look for one to try temp.

thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
73chevyman

if you got a dwell meter hook it up and compare the 2 that will definately tell you
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
maxreps

That I do not have... got a digital multimeter for voltage/current/resistance of both AC and DC circuits, even reads temperature but I have no dwell meter.
If I can locate one how should it be hooked up? in place of the tach or in line with it, etc...

thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
73chevyman

it's been a while but it should go in line like a timing light i'm going to be useing my dads this week i'll let you know
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote