The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 AM   #26
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: Pro or con Late model step side bed

To each his own; different strokes for different folks, etc., etc., etc.

It just ain't my cup o' tea.

But I'm not going to rip someone if that's what he/she likes.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I don`t care what he does with his truck.The only justification I understand is good beds are hard to find and cost more.The Spostside is a cheaper alternative that`s in,you`d think,better shape.BUT HE HAD A BED!!! So,I wouldn`t want him doing my dealing.He got screwed!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #28
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
I wouldn't take pot-shots at anybody's project, & mine's no show truck by a LOOONG ways, but the stock look is hard to beat, for me.

Unless it's lowered to get the stock "butt-high" look corrected. That's coming, when the budget allows.
Hey 68shortstep...nice truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
Let me restate my position on this. The first time I saw it done I loved it! it was a dark green 71-72 with woodgrain lower moldings and rally wheels. I thought it looked sweet. As far as the wheelwells not matching...big whoop! Look at the 57 Chevy cars, they don't match. People that know virtually nothing about cars can pick a 57 Chevy out of a lineup. Now that it's been done over and over I really don't care for it. To me it looks just like what it is...a shortcut for someone that couldn't find or afford a correct bed. Now, if you drive your truck with it's late model bed to a cruise in, I'm not going to pick it out and make fun of it....That's not why I'm there. However if you come on this forum or in my garage and ask my honest opinion I'm going to give it to you. Does it count as custom? I don't think so. My wife drives a car that never came with a V8 that now has one, it's had the two halves of the hood welded together, extra teeth in the grill and an airride system that lets her lay frame...That's a custom! (Remember you can't spell custom without CUS ). I have seen the later beds with the rear steps shaved off and I will say that it is a huge improvement and helps em fall in to the acceptable category for me.

So, My opinion doesn't mean squat but here it is. If your budget is small to nonexistent and a later stepside bed will get you rolling...DO IT!! It makes me happy to see another old truck back on the road. If you're doing it because you think it looks better or custom...please don't.

I really don't care....I just like trucks!!!
Bingo...we have a winner! Nicely said.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #29
BluTrukker
BOHICA

I don't really care for it. However, if I had a rust shot bed and a fairly solid, but beat up cab on a wood hauler or a hunting truck i would probably do it. It would have to be a total beater that only gets used for rough work.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #30
see ten
WTB this ad

That's one heck of a funny sig ya got there ^^^^!!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #31
c10addict

Well said see ten....I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I had seen the first one... Now I wouldn't have one in my garage.. I must say there is a member with an orange truck on here that has a late model stepside and it looks great... But he also did alot of mods to make it flow and fit much better... Anyone know the member or truck?? I am drawing a blank!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #32
tim21391

my opinion is to leave it the way it is.. when i see those beds on our trucks.. i just dont like the round wheel arch up front and the squared one in the rear.. i like stuff stock
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
joekewl_chevyfreak

Its been said that Chevrolet done it right the first time

'87 Dodge D150, 318 auto stock; D.D.

God meant for rubber to be burnt, not for an ear of corn

Myspace
joekewl_chevyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #34
mike nutt
69fatmotor

c10addict , i think that's my truck your talking about.

mike

Last edited by mike nutt; 02-22-2009 at 09:03 PM.
mike nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #35
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nutt View Post
i built my truck to be different . i passed on a rust free step side bed and a very usable fleetside bed . if you see my truck in your town you will know it's mine, not just another nice fleetside. i get tired of ya'll ragging on the late model beds on these trucks , but some people want to be diffrent and if you don't like my truck , no big deal , get over it.
sorry for the rant. to each his own . go forth and build you truck just as you want it . don't let someone else tell you what not to do just because they don't care for it , if you like it , go for it.
mike
If you built your truck to what you think looks the best, then you don't have to justify, apologize or explain it to anyone because it is your truck built with your hard work and money. Its just when you do something that is drastic to a classic vehicle you are going to have a lot of people that don't like it. Its just the nature of the beast, I guess. There's some people out there who don't like how I did my dually, and I could care less. Personally when I see your truck my mind says "That is an awesome truck, except the bed", and I'm sure you don't care what I think and you shouldn't care what I think. Like uncle said on here one day "That's why we got chocolate and strawberry."
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #36
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
i built my truck to be different . i passed on a rust free step side bed and a very usable fleetside bed . if you see my truck in your town you will know it's mine, not just another nice fleetside. i get tired of ya'll ragging on the late model beds on these trucks , but some people want to be diffrent and if you don't like my truck , no big deal , get over it.
sorry for the rant. to each his own . go forth and build you truck just as you want it . don't let someone else tell you what not to do just because they don't care for it , if you like it , go for it.
mike
Not ragging I just thought it was a horrible trade. He should have gotten more in return

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

As I said,do what you like.But,this is about trading a good original bed for a way more common newer bed even up?It`s just not a good trade,period.IMO,since I don`t like the newer beds,I would only go for the Sportside if I didn`t have a proper bed or money and patience to get get one.Even that orange truck,which is a fine looking truck that the owner did a great job on,I would like even more with a stock body.I never get tired of seeing just another Fleetside or Stepside.Personally,I don`t like a modernized look on any older vehicles.

I don`t try to bring an old vehicle up to date.I prefer taking myself back to the time of the vehicle.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #38
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Here's one that I nominate for the late model grudge award for abortion category....
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #39
c10addict

Quote:
mike
Thats the one... Bad a$$ truck my man!!!!! Great work...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #40
whatnow123

I dont' like the wheel arch difference between the two, and to be honest, I rarely like the squared arch on any car.

But back to late model beds, I've been looking at the ford ranger stepside bed and I bet it would look very good if you have the skill set to section the middle and make it wide enough. But that's probably more work than it's worth.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #41
71 lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow123 View Post
I dont' like the wheel arch difference between the two, and to be honest, I rarely like the squared arch on any car.

But back to late model beds, I've been looking at the ford ranger stepside bed and I bet it would look very good if you have the skill set to section the middle and make it wide enough. But that's probably more work than it's worth.
I have mentioned this on here before,but the late80's early 90's FORD full size stepsides have a round wheel arch and fit the chevy better than the late chevy beds.I dont have pics,but I have seen them before,in magazine pictures.
I
71 lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #42
Boog
laying low

I am curious about those ford step beds on Chevys. I would like to see some. Not wanting to do it mind you but want to see.
You know the first few Chevs I saw with the late model beds on them I, just like many of you, thought dayem that's fugly. But some of them are done very well. Mike Nutt has by far done more work to his than any other I have seen and it looks better than any other I've seen. I belive much of his bedwork is captured in his build thread. His is not a bolt on. It is a custom.
I have a stock step bed sitting outside rusting away and I have to say I am wondering if I need to try to save it or look for a fleet or consider a later model sportbed. There are worse looking trucks out there...
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #43
see ten
WTB this ad

Wheelwell problem...solved!!!

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #44
Boog
laying low

Oh and now I've seen. gulp, thanks Asa.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:25 AM   #45
retselgerg

well for me its not a shortcut, i have the money to buy a new bed and almost did, but then i thought about the best lookin C/10 (and i do mean best) that ive saw, and i have seen alot through this site, ebay, car shows, locals etc and i couldnt take it off, i saw that truck when i was about 9 and never grew out of love with it, same color as mine, about the same ride height, dont get me wrong a slammed fleet is sexy but so is a slammed c/10 with a latemodel bed, now if you just throw it on settin on some 6inch wide wheels, setting about 2ft off the ground with a bonestock truck it does look slapped together, but done right it looks just as good as stock bed, but you have to get it right bodylines, rideheight, color, etc.........but in all honesty its hard to make a c10 look bad...at least were not driving fords.....lol
Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 AM   #46
weircc

only way i would use a new style bed is if i was in a pinch older ones look alot better imo
weircc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #47
brad_man_72
the boat guy

im sorry i thought you said your friend traded a good short fleet bed for a newer bodystyle stepside bed...... wait you did. OMG!
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #48
magsnubby

Mike,
Your truck is awesome. I'd roll in it anytime.
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote