The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
stan3018

ok need some help////on my front

ok guys i like to drop my56chevy but very confuse ,i got the back cover my problem is the front i like to get a mustang2 with 2drop spindles but dont know if i will need it with bags or regular shack or coilovershocks ..what is my best choice.....>>thanks
stan3018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Scottshotrods

Re: ok need some help////on my front

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan3018 View Post
ok guys i like to drop my56chevy but very confuse ,i got the back cover my problem is the front i like to get a mustang2 with 2drop spindles but dont know if i will need it with bags or regular shack or coilovershocks ..what is my best choice.....>>thanks
For your 56 we have complete ifs systems for your truck.
If you are going to be bagging the rear of your truck I
would bag the front of the truck.If you are not going to
be putting bags on the truck at all.Then I would run our
Scotts standard ifs this has Coil-overs on it.Here is a break
down on the ifs
1.Scotts Superslam ifs
one piece crossmember
tubular upper and lower a-arms
dropped spindals
11 inch rotors
gm caliper
power rack
slam bags
cnc machined rodends
100% tig welded and ready to install when you get it
Delivery time is 5 days from time of order
$2495.00
2.Scotts standard ifs all of above is the same except
no bags.
It will have alden coil-overs same time frame on shipping.
You can check it out on www.scottshotrods.com
Thankyou
Justin
(805)485-0382
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
stan3018

bags coilover shocks ?whats better
Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
55belairtim

i like the coilovers they have some adjustability with them, bags are nice if its a show only type of vehicle,i have seen lots of vehicles on the side of the road with poped bags. thats my preference though.
55belairtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
stan3018

thanks man ....
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55belairtim View Post
i like the coilovers they have some adjustability with them, bags are nice if its a show only type of vehicle,i have seen lots of vehicles on the side of the road with poped bags. thats my preference though.
ok, so maybe bags aren't as popular here in Iowa as they are in CA, but there's nothing wrong with bags on a daily driver. There are lots of people on this forum that have bagged DD's and I don't think i've seen a thread where they said one blew.

not trying to be a prick here. Your statement just didn't seem completely correct. as you said, it's your preference though. bags are mine.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
55belairtim

my preference is right, i have had a bag go out on me before at 70 mph down the freeway and the only thing that stoped me was a dirt hill the truck drove up on to because i couldnt steer or stop worth a ****. bags work for some people, if you dont air them up and down as much, i know in the summertime here in california i see at least 2 trucks with blown bags every week. i use to bag truck when i was in highschool,its a scary feeling when one blows out on you,
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

ok, so blowing a bag at 70 is gonna put a load in anyone's shorts. agreed.

stan3018, one thing to consider if you go the bag route, design it so that if a bag does blow, you're still safe. You should be able to drive in a straight line with zero pressure in all 4 bags. Nothing should be closer than 1" to the ground.

if you can go straight, then you'll be able to turn just enough to get to the side of the road.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
55belairtim

problem is when you bag it if your like me, if the bodys not on the ground its not low enough. my s 10 was baged on 18"s which at the time was the biggest wheel you could get, and layed out the frame was on the ground, idealy if you bag something you want it to be like iveldesigns said that you still have clearance between the frame and gound when layed out. my brothers 42 is going to be on bags it has a m2 front suspension, with no air in the bags the front crossmember will lay on the ground, the frame itself will not it still has about 1-2 inches of clearance.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55belairtim View Post
my preference is right, i have had a bag go out on me before at 70 mph down the freeway
Parts often fail when not installed properly. However, a properly installed, and quality bag will last a looooong time. My truck's air system has been in place for almost a decade (front bags are newer, but I didn't replace the old ones due to any issues... it was merely a matter of convenience when I swapped in a new xmember and control arms. Old bags are happily riding around on another board member's truck now).
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
stan3018

I dont like the bag thing it is scary if u driving at 70mph and the bag blows u are in trouble,plus it is too exspensive...i will go with coilovershocks ...know my question is this if i get the mustang2 how low will the truck go stock and how low will truck go with the drop spindles.....i will go at least 3 to 4 inch in the back >>>>>.thank u guys but dont know a thing about this...
Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
stan3018

what type of welding i need for the mustang2 to be weld to the frame...?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Shane
Account Suspended

Yeah ...those semi trucks are always on the side of the interstate with those blown bags.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan3018 View Post
I don't like the bag thing it is scary if u driving at 70mph and the bag blows u are in trouble,plus it is too exspensive...
It just as scary if your going 70mph and a tire blows regardless of the type of suspension.

I'm not trying to sell you on bags, but a "properly" engineered air suspension system is reliable. As Shane mentioned, there are thousands of commercial trucks as well as large RV's driving millions of miles a year that are using air suspension.

Good luck with your decision...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Kayotic

Anything will fail eventually if you exceed their limits.

Bags for me...

That said, My second choice would be high quality coilovers.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #16
jephs422

Bag, coilovers,or coil and shock; either way....Like N2TRUX said, a tire is more likely to blow than a bag is properly installed.

Personally I happen to like coilovers. For me it is just the added expense of the compressor, tank, valves, etc. Of course, my last 4 projects have all been airbags, so maybe I like bags more than I thought, LOL.

Now, in regards to a Mustang II with airbags goes...I'll tell you DON'T DO IT!! The biggest problem with people running airbags and the reason they get a bad rap is almost always tied to bad installation or improper fitment. A Mustang II is not a suspension that was designed to travel throughout the ranges that an airbag will allow it to go. And before anyone jumps on me, yes I know that a lot of people do it seamlessly without fail. A lot of people also play Russian roulette in 3rd world countries and live....some people simply get lucky. The Mustang II airbag fad is the reason why we manufacture an upper a-arm that is fully adjustable for the Mustang II so it can be aligned without the problems that normally arise. Also, the upper hat of a Mustang II and the lower arm of a Mustang II do not allow for proper placement of the bag and most of the times failures come from the bag rubbing the spring pockets. And in some cases I have seen the bag actually rub up against itself and lead to failure. So whatever you decide, just triple check EVERYTHING!!

As far as what type of welding needs to be done....well, that all depends on what type of kit you get.

A Mustang II will have a set of upper hats that hold the upper a-arms and a lower crossmember to weld in. Our IFS will have only a one piece crossmember to weld in. If you are running airbags you will need to weld in the upper bag mounts and shock mounts on either system. I would keep it simple and just MIG weld the parts to your frame.

Again, not to harp on the Mustang II but would you take the suspension form a MAC truck and put it under a FIAT? or vice-versa? The frame rails and the track width are completely too far out of whack for a Mustang II suspension. A complete custom ifs needs to be built or you will run into bump steer and other geometry issues.

Scott's Hotrods
Oxnard CA 93030
jephs422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
stan3018

Thank you guys....
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
stan3018

You're probably gonna get a faster reaction if you either call them or PM with price requests.

Thanks.

Last edited by Shane; 02-27-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
jephs422

Got your PM thanks....

Scott's Hotrods
Oxnard CA 93030
jephs422 is offline   Reply With Quote