The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
rddaves54

bolt on dual exhaust system

I found on LMC web sight a “complete V8 high performance dual exhaust system with bolt on convenience” for $250 I had a price quote for $375 from a muffle shop. It comes with turbo mufflers and all the pipes and hangers.

I was wondering if any of you had put one on from LMC and what you thought. I was thinking it looks good and had everything necessary to bolt right up.
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: bolt on dual exhaust system

it's a good system only thing is the diagram isnt much help so its just a matter of you figuering out what goes where// butr once installed it fits good and lasted good
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
pmpski_1

I got the Hooker bolt on from Summit. Twice.

The first one was for my 76 Blazer and it worked great. Bolted right up with minimum problems.

The second was for my 71 C20 and it didn't fit very well. I ended up taking it to a muffler shop anyway, just to make one side fit. The other fit great.

I don't know about the LMC ones, but I think the DIY exhaust is ok if you don't mind spending the time instead of the money.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddaves54 View Post
I found on LMC web sight a “complete V8 high performance dual exhaust system with bolt on convenience” for $250 I had a price quote for $375 from a muffle shop. It comes with turbo mufflers and all the pipes and hangers.

I was wondering if any of you had put one on from LMC and what you thought. I was thinking it looks good and had everything necessary to bolt right up.
I bought the True X from LMC and you have to cut and weld where it joins the headers so it is not a true bolt on.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I would only want a welded system.I`d weld the LMC or any other ready-made pipes.But,I prefer custom,personally.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
rddaves54

I am not using headers will that make a difference? Stock manifolds.
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

At $125.00 more I think it would be worth the extra money for them to do it. Juct my .02!
Plus it would be all welded and less likely to leak.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
mrein3

The LMC kit is drop shipped from a company in Minnesota called Heartthrob Exhaust.

I believe they sell kits for headers or stock manifolds. Make sure you order the correct kit for you application.

I ordered the 4x4 dual kit from LMC for my K10. Everything was included in the kit from the new donuts for the manifolds all the way back. I did end up going to NAPA to get a different hanger for the side that didn't have a factory hanger. If your truck was a factory dual truck you won't need to do that.

Unlike special-K and Andy4639 I'm in the clamp verses weld camp. I'd rather not deal with a weld when replacing just a muffler. In the last year or two I had to replace my mufflers on my Heartthrob kit. That is not to say I don't see the value in a fully welded system. I just like cutting clamps and removing components. Here in Minnesota any small leaks around a clamped joint rust shut in about 90 milleseconds anyways.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
lowriden58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
At $125.00 more I think it would be worth the extra money for them to do it. Juct my .02!
Plus it would be all welded and less likely to leak.
plus im sure it comes with some sort of warranty too

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
425HP409
425hp409

Angry Re: bolt on dual exhaust system

I bought the LMC kit thinking I could install it at home in my "Home Shop". WRONG.....I had to trailer the truck to my Automotive Shop and cut and bend it to fit, it was a royal pain in the ---. Once installed, it looks great.
Charles
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
mr48chev

You should still be able to order a complete exhaust system through some parts houses. It may take a bit of searching though and I'm not sure that it will be any cheaper.

One thing to remember when ordering pieces from the catalog outfits is that freight can run up the tab in a hurry to where it is way above the price that a good local muffler shop will charge.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
lowriden58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
You should still be able to order a complete exhaust system through some parts houses. It may take a bit of searching though and I'm not sure that it will be any cheaper.

One thing to remember when ordering pieces from the catalog outfits is that freight can run up the tab in a hurry to where it is way above the price that a good local muffler shop will charge.
good point... cuz after shipping he is looking at around 300+ so the 75bucks he could save would be best to just let the shop fab it up

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
71 super

Go straight to heartthrob- I did and got free shipping - total was 184.00 w/o mufflers. It arrived today and I will let you know Sunday how it fits.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

After gumping an exhaust together in my shop, and using a pipe bender and putting my truck on a car lift to re-do the exhaust, I'll NEVER gump another exhaust up again. Pay the extra money and have a shop do it, you wont regret it.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
Husker

I have the LMC kit on my 70 4x4 fit is Good and it was easy to install.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #16
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Walker still shows a factory-style single system for a '72 smallblock 2WD long box, and some odds and ends for other years, although I'd think the '72 system would work back to '67 since they're all basically the same. Around where I live, NAPA and O'Reillys sell Walker. Don't know about the other chain stores.

The Walker stuff fits perfect all the way back to the muffler, and the tail pipe is also correct, but the muffler is WRONG. It's too long and the inlet is the wrong size. I'm stalled on my exhaust at the moment until I get a chance to peruse the Walker catalog for a muffler that fits, but I've got lots of other stuff to work on to keep me busy.

I'm with mrein3-- I prefer a clamped together system too. I've hung and fixed lots of exhaust, and would much rather be able to take it apart and fix it myself rather than deal with a system that's welded together from the doughnuts to the tailpipe outlet. Pros and cons both ways, I suppose.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
pmpski_1

Quote:

Summit always has free shipping

If I ever have to do another exhaust I'll take it to a shop, because it's worth the extra money to get it done if modifications are necessary. Plus, I got an O2 bung welded in for no extra cost.

If you're on a strict budget, the bolt on may be the way to go.

Last edited by pmpski_1; 03-06-2009 at 10:47 AM.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
71 super

I started on my heartthrob pipes last night and all fits very well and has instructions etc. I used walker components on my bb truck when I worked at the parts store and they fit without problems as well. Problem is a) don't work in parts store anymore b) no one sells walker in this town
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I would only want a welded system.I`d weld the LMC or any other ready-made pipes.But,I prefer custom,personally.
What he said

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
The LMC kit is drop shipped from a company in Minnesota called Heartthrob Exhaust.

I believe they sell kits for headers or stock manifolds. Make sure you order the correct kit for you application.

I ordered the 4x4 dual kit from LMC for my K10. Everything was included in the kit from the new donuts for the manifolds all the way back. I did end up going to NAPA to get a different hanger for the side that didn't have a factory hanger. If your truck was a factory dual truck you won't need to do that.

Unlike special-K and Andy4639 I'm in the clamp verses weld camp. I'd rather not deal with a weld when replacing just a muffler. In the last year or two I had to replace my mufflers on my Heartthrob kit. That is not to say I don't see the value in a fully welded system. I just like cutting clamps and removing components. Here in Minnesota any small leaks around a clamped joint rust shut in about 90 milleseconds anyways.
Buy good mufflers weld them on and dont worry about it for ten years. Thats how long I had my last set of flowmasters and they were still good when I sold the truck

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #21
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

I think a good part of my truck was rebuilt using LMC. The previous owner had alot of their parts put on at some point. The dual exhaust is straight pipes with turbo mufflers and tips. The whole thing is clamped on. stock manifolds. It sounds decent, the clamps are obnoxious though. It looks cheap.
I'm gonna ditch the whole thing and just buy some good headers and have the shop weld up a custom, solid exhaust. Money well spent in my opinion.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #22
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbristo67 View Post
Buy good mufflers weld them on and dont worry about it for ten years. Thats how long I had my last set of flowmasters and they were still good when I sold the truck
Exhaust is a funny thing when you live in a climate where there is moisture in the air.

I have had the opportunity to work on vehicles from dry climates. Things like exhaust manifold nuts actually back off the studs - without twisting off the stud. Mufflers actually last 10 years. Y-pipes last for almost the life of the vehicle. Not here.

I have owned cars since 1984 and have never got 10 years out of a muffler. Performance, cheap, or in between. ALL mufflers, regardless of where you live rust from the inside out. In climates where there is moisture in the air like here they are also rusting from the outside in.

Perhaps clamps look cheap but if you need to replace components they are the only way to go. All you 2wd guys that are lowering your trucks - I don't know how you'd see the clamps anyways. One way to clean things up under there is to turn the clamps so the bolts point UP.

Form follows function.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote