The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Got my new 66 parts truck home today

After an exciting loading experience we made it home safely. A big thank you to Sdailey for the use of his trailer and his time and help. Here are some pix. The VIN shows to be a 65. The frame is not original to the truck. It looks like it is a 66 frame, but the bed doesn't fit the frame. Kind of confussed.

For more pix go Here

Home made front bed mount

Lt inner rocker

Frame VIN

Home made rear bed mounts

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 03-07-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Got my new 66 parts truck home today

I think it is still a 66 frame.. I think the bed is a 60-62, thus the wider mounts that do not mesh with the narrower frame rails.

the frame vin starting with 6=66 a=atlanta, and the rest is the sequintial serial # from whatever truck it was.
looks like a nice hood!

also looking at the vin tag, it looks to have been changed, the pop rivets should have a "flower" cut on the edge, and be silver...

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 03-07-2009 at 06:46 PM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

here is the vin decode info..
VIN C1445N106765
Model Year 1965
Chassis 2 Wheel Drive
Body Style Pickup
Series 1/2-Ton
Assembly Plant Norwood, OH
Sequential Number 106765

also there are no dust flaps on the back of the cab for a stepside, so it was probably originally a 66 short fleet.

tell us about your loading experience, every time I have ever loaded, and it has involved a farmer, or a tractor, or any combination of the 2 it has been an experience for sure!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Alan's Classic

Thanks Jon for the decoding. I was going to use your sticky tonight and see what I came up with. I got home loaded the pix and was back out the door with the family. What you said makes sense about the way the bed fits. The rearend looks to have been replaced or rebuilt recently. I'm curious about whats in it. I'll write my loading experience tonight. It could have turned out bad.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Alan's Classic

OK here is the loading story. Here is the picture of where we loaded it.

The truck was parked past the tractor in the brush and next to the big oak on the left half way up the hill. The truck has no brakes, ebrake, trans or seat. I was in the truck steering, Shannon was on the trailer guiding and Chris was on the tractor. I hooked the chain to the truck and tractor. Chris pulled me up the hill that is front of the tractor in the pic so we could use the tractor to slowly aproach the trailer which was all down hill then come-a-long the rest of the way. We slowly came down the hill and I was getting lined up on the trailer. All this time I was thinking what if???? What if something happens where should I steer too? That's just my mind driving me crazy. You know the voices. We decended the hill and I pretty much thought those concerns were behind me. Well anyway we got to within 5-10 feet of the trailer. I was watching Shannon's directions not paying much attention to the tractor in front of me. We were easily coming back then the pace picked up considerabaly. I was thinking that Chris was going to let me get some speed to at least get a little on the trailer. I faintly heard Shannon saying WOAH and waving his hands then saw him run off the trailer. If I would have looked out the windshield I would have noticed the tractor wasn't moving but I was. I was concentrating on the trailer. Once everything stopped moving the rear tires of the truck was 3/4 of the way up the ramp. What if (again) the truck made it all of the way up on the trailer? Well, I'm not even going there. Let me say the trailer and my truck was parked going down hill as well. There was a little excitement due to the chain coming loose but, everything turned out OK.

I've done some web searching for rear axle codes decoding with no luck. The axle code is HA 2 14 W. I'm going to keep searching. I'm probably going to take the cover off to see what is exactly in there. It would be sweet if it had a posi.

The engine cast #3877178 shows to be 62-78 230-250. I'll get the info off of the pad next to the distributor soon.

I think instead of parting it out, I might list it in the forsale section with a choice of hoods except the one it came with. Not really sure yet.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Alan's Classic

Found a post about rear axle codes by Apachedaddy. By the looks of it, it didn't come factory with a posi. You never now what might be lurking behind the cover. On second thought it is a 6 cyl but maybe they had plans of a 572........NAAAAAHHHHH

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2833052
Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

when you punch the vin into the decoder (post #4 of the vin sticky), and you scroll down there will be engine, paint, tranny, and axle codes specific to that year.
I changed the 5n to a 6n on your vin to get 66 info, but the 65 info was the same.
HA came back as a 3:73.
none of the listings say posi or not, so maybe the only way to tell is if there are the posi jack instructions behind the seat... that is always the first place I look.

where exactly is the axle code on the rear?

and good idea on selling it, it does look like a good start for someone.

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 03-07-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
when you punch the vin into the decoder (post #4 of the vin sticky), and you scroll down there will be engine, paint, tranny, and axle codes specific to that year.
I changed the 5n to a 6n on your vin to get 66 info, but the 65 info was the same.
HA came back as a 3:73.
none of the listings say posi or not, so maybe the only way to tell is if there are the posi jack instructions behind the seat... that is always the first place I look.

where exactly is the axle code on the rear?

and good idea on selling it, it does look like a good start for someone.
The axle code I found was on the front of the RT axle tube. I'll do some more checking tonight or tommorrow I hope. I'm out in the shop right now seeing if I can get something done. Just went out to check for jack instructions. There's not any. the interior is stripped.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
maximum destruction
In House Collision Technician

hey alan, if u decide to part, put me in line for the bed. i need to use it for a template to make my bed mounts on the 4x4 conv.. thanks