The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
60stepside

Wheel bearing help!

Hows everyone doing this fine Sunday evening? My question is about wheel bearings. I have a 1960 Stepside drums all around. What year wheel bearing can I use up to? O'Rileys says the only bearings they can find is 1969 and the guy says that they are interchangable. From all of my info looking up/lurking 1960 -63 and some 4-5-6 parts are interchangable. If anyone knows for sure please educate me. At long last I will get my truck back from the body/painter on Friday! I have so many goodies for it! Just finished the bed wood today! I ramble a bit. Thanks for any info.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
jason65
Registerd User

Re: Wheel bearing help!

Most parts guys are stupid. If you want to make sure there is a # and brand on the backside of the bearing. Have them look that up and match it. Don't take there word for it.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
Most parts guys are stupid. If you want to make sure there is a # and brand on the backside of the bearing. Have them look that up and match it. Don't take there word for it.

The original '60-'62 wheel bearings were of the ball type bearing, but there may be a tapered roller to replace them. Since you have this older truck, consider looking around your area and see if you can find a parts store that has someone with a brain that is willing to get out the books and look up parts for the older vehicles. If worst comes to worse, you might have to order the bearing from a truck supplier like LMC or Classic Parts.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 03-09-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
60stepside

Thanks for the replys! I will try to find that elusive parts person =). Thanks again and if anyone is that elusive parts person please chime in. Take care and have a great night.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
slepysal

I have been in auto parts for over 25 years, and the lack of "real" parts guys ( or gals) is amazing, especialy at the chain stores. You can almost forget having them look up parts for pre 70's cars/ trucks. A blank stare is all you get.
Try an independat store, you might pay more ,but chance are they will be more helpful and have a bit more knowledge.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Matt's k5
BLAZER THIRTY!!

i pulled mine out of my 62 they were ball type i took them and the races to kaman bearing supply they were able to match them up now i have roller bearings here is there website http://www.kamandirect.com/branches.asp
72 HIGHLANDER K5 BLAZER 2nd owner

71 K5 MAMMA'S RIDE!
63 GMC 4X4 305 V6
62 GMC SHORT BED SERVICE BODY V6 (STUMPY)
74 GMC CUSTOM 1500 L/B

Last edited by Matt's k5; 03-10-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Matt's k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Originals on the front are B-66 inner & B-67 outer. Ball bearings that fit the 60-61 pickup. Rears take R-1502-EL, catalog shows 60-63.

IIRC, the guys at www.stovebolt.com havee the info on the rollers that fit. I would do the swap.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
60stepside

Sweet! Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
You can almost forget having them look up parts for pre 70's cars/ trucks. A blank stare is all you get.
If I had a nickel for every time..........

Another idea is to hit a local industrial parts supplier, like for machine shops and such - they go out of their way to help. We have a couple we use for hydraulic hose assemblies, pump shafts, gears, etc. and I've given them bearings from my truck and even my boat trailer - and as long as they can pick up even part of the identification number - they can usually get you any bearing assembly out there.

Mac.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
derider

We also use and industrial supplier locally. We just take the parts in or call with the number and they match it up. Many times in stock. We rent and sell construction equipment and always get wierd repairs thrown at us that people need back right away. Their prices are usually good also.
derider is offline   Reply With Quote