The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

Should I go with a F.I. 350 ?

Im working on breaking down my 69 for the rebuild and gathering parts, I have an 87 chevy van that I'm robbing some stuff from. I need some opinions...

The parts van has a running fuel injected 350, I am starting to consider putting it in my 69. I had planned on staying with a carb but fuel injection sounds tempting, especially during cold weather..

Anybody put one of these in your truck? Is it hard to install the computer and all the sensors, or is it pretty easy? Do you think its a good idea? Im trying to save some money so instead of buying a new motor I thought I might spend a little getting this one rebuilt and upgraded...
'07 MAZDA 3 (the wife's ride)
JesseSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
SactoJim

Re: Should I go with a F.I. 350 ?

I think late model fuel injection is the way to go.....especially for a driver.

That said, I would shy away from older setups simply because it's improved leaps and bounds over years and something that old, may be a challenge to get working really well and you may just end up missing your carb at the end of the day.

If you definitely want to go with FI, I'd lean towards the mid 90's vortec motors with port injection (instead of throttle bodies) if you want to stay with traditional small block style engines.

Ideally you'd be most happy with an LS style swap (LS1,4.8,5.3.6.0 style engines). The wonderful thing about the latter is the tons and tons of info and support available on the web, not to mention, they're just great motors.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

A van is a great source of parts. I bought a 1990 G-van a while back and swapped the fuel injected powertrain into my ’72. Easy swap and it turned out great. Can’t beat the cold starting, throttle response and the best part is the truck doesn’t sound like the pistons are swapping holes now going doing the highway with the overdrive transmission. EFI and OD are sweet!

Below is the link to the thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=306106
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
powerline84
Greasemonkey

f that stay old school lol j/k Seriously though on my build i wanted to keep old school hotrod style but thats the build "I" want. Look at where and what you want to project to go and do and then decide.

My Baby
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3113923
powerline84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseSimon View Post
Im working on breaking down my 69 for the rebuild and gathering parts, I have an 87 chevy van that I'm robbing some stuff from. I need some opinions...

The parts van has a running fuel injected 350, I am starting to consider putting it in my 69. I had planned on staying with a carb but fuel injection sounds tempting, especially during cold weather..

Anybody put one of these in your truck? Is it hard to install the computer and all the sensors, or is it pretty easy? Do you think its a good idea? Im trying to save some money so instead of buying a new motor I thought I might spend a little getting this one rebuilt and upgraded...
The 87 set up is easy and the way to go if you are doing it yourself.. I recently swapped a setup out of a 91 sub into a 81 Chev pickup. Easy as can bee. I know its a different body style then our trucks but same basic frame. Same basic concept. Just pull the whole harness comp everything out of the van. When you unhook something label what it is. You may have to improvise going back in to your truck but in the end you will have an updated fuse box and cheap EFI. Not the most high performance setup but it is bullet proof. The only aspect I dont know about is your cluster. You might have to run all aftermarket Gauges.

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote