The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Wink Found a few things I needed at the junk yard!

Well I went to the junk yard (U-pull-it at 35th ave and broadway) on Sunday morning. All my friends were sleeping in so I went alone. I romed the yard for awhile hitting every 73-87 I saw. I found my heater fan switch plug and its like brand new. The whole dash was ripped apart so I was able to get pigtails about 15" long, which is good because mine are hacked up under the dash. I also found an ashtray in pretty good shape. Didnt really need it, but I tossed it in my toolbox. When I got how I hacked the ashtray all up and added some rubber inside. Now its like a storage compartment and doesnt have any of the ashtray featers. Its much more open and easier to get change and my sterio remote out of it. No big deal, but Ill post some pictures later. I also found a rearview mirror out of a buickor grand am or something. I cant remember, I check alot of cars before I found this one. It looks like one posted by others before. Its kinda long which I like and is in great shape. I hope to install it real soon.
I have a question about the lighted mirror though.
It has three wires.
One for sure is ground.
But the other two I am not 100% sure of.
Im guessing that the 2 other wires are both power.
One for turning on with the door and the the other for turning on with the switch, is this right? If so I really only need the two wires right? I could not test it because the bulb were burned out. I hope it works. The car it was in was in a pretty good wreck and looked like it had some engine bay fire. Im thinking this is why the bulbs burned.
I searched all over for a rear anti-sway bar but had no luck.
Ill post some pictures of the parts later. Im just so happy that I got the things I went for and a little ashtray to modify. I have been looking for that wire plug for awhile now

After I left the yard and was walking to my truck, I had this bad feeling that something happened to my truck. 35th ave and Broadway is not a nice area I had this gut feeling and thought to myself I hope my truck didnt get broken into I hope my truck didnt get broken into. Then I turn the corner and what do I see. A guy jumping through the window of the car, where I would have parked if I didnt feel uncomfortable about that spot. He looked at me and I looked at him, then I looked at the fat girl getaway driver. They knew I was checking them out and he kept ripping the sterio out, he had a heck of a time doing it to. Many guys were working on their cars right there and didnt give a damn. I wish I had a friend with me because we would have funked him up. He was small, but he deserved a beat down! I went back to my truck and watched him continue in the mirror. He kept looking at me and didnt look very happy that I was paying him so much attention. I didnt not want to confront him or her because you never know if he has a gun or not. I had my 357 in my hand and was thining about holding him at gun point till the cops arrived. I thought a little more then, he jumped into the getaway car and sped off. I got the plate and description of the car, driver, and passenger (person who commited theft). I waited around and tried to figure out whos car it was, but nobody came out. I called the police (not 911 ) and told them what happened. They said if your not the owner and its not happening now, then there is nothing anyone can do, leave a note on the car. So I hung around a little but more then wrote a note. Right after I drove off I decided to go back (this is about 45 minutes after it happened). I see 3 hispanic males (late teens) with the hatchback open on the car. I pull up and they seem mad about the car being broke into. I got out and tried to communicate, but the speak spanish and I speak engine. I gave them the note and tried to explain what I saw. Another man, hispanic, came up and assisted me in explaining to them what was going on. Once they understood that I witnessed the entire thing and got alot of details about the persons and car they seemed very greatful. I gave the man my cell phone to call police, I also gave him the number that I got from 411. Of course the police dispatcher didnt speak spanish either. He had the phone to me and said something about no english. I talked with the lady and explained everything to her. She took my information and what I seen then dispatched a car. She told me I could leave, but leave the note and my phone number with the victim. So I left, havent heard anything yet. But I hope I get to point this low lifes out. I hope they get whats coming to them and I hope I can help. My truck has been broken into 2-3 times. Nobody saw anything and nobody did anything. I find that had to believe that in middle of the day nobody saw anything. Thats just plain f*cked up!
So to make this loooonnnngggg story short, It was a nice day at the junk yard.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
78SilveradoSWB

Should have yelled at him that you just called the cops and see his reaction, of course you should have the motor running for a quick escape.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
AirMale

GREAT POST!

A very cool thing you did and hopefully those mofos get some street justice for that! We all work hard for our money and when someone just helps themselves to our goods it makes you wanna explode. You showed more restraint then I ever could've.
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:25 AM   #4
Bowed

Was that the one that you pay $2.00 to get in to and its on the south side of Broadway ? If it is I was in there 2 weeks ago and got a rear stepside fender ( a perfect G M ) for $50.00 and they had like 50 of our trucks in there . I find a lot of good stuff at Arizona pick a part on 27th between Buckeye and Ecoulogy salvage . The rip off story was interesting . If nobody cared about the break in may be you could have gone over and shot out his tires and no body would have cared either, lol.
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #5
PHOENIX

I only payed $1 to get into U-Pull-It its on the north side of broadway facing south. Theres a bunch of yards right there, I really need to hit a couple others. Ecology does have alot of trucks in there and cars. Ecology is probly one of the better yards for just about any vehicle. Bowed where do you live?

I hooked up the mirror last night and I was right about the wiring. There is one for ground and one for door, then one for when you manually turn it on. Im gonna hook the one for the door to the light switch, so when ever I turn the inside light on, this one will light instead. I forgot to put the pictures of the stuff on last night. But Ill post a picture of the ash tray. For those of you who store stuff like change in your ash tray, you may want to hack it all up like I did, its a big difference in getting stuff in and out.

I hope they get whats coming to them too. They will probly say hey, we have a witness, you were seen at the crime in your car, blah blah blah, they will pleed guilty, pay for damage to car, and probly get off scott-free (?). I would have rather beat him down
Old 03-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Eddie, we should go to the junkyard this weekend then go shooting
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:42 PM   #7
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

Good going Eddie. I like Tom's idea. A little part rippin in the AM and alot of a$$ rippin in the PM!!.
Waiting for the ash tray pics.
82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #8
PHOENIX

Here is some pictures as promised

Ash Tray. I know its something stupid, but day to day it has proven itself to be worth the effort.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2003, 10:49 PM   #9
PHOENIX

I had some pictures of the tray installed, but they came out all sh*tty. Here is one of the lighted rear view mirror:
Old 03-11-2003, 10:59 PM   #10
PHOENIX

Here is why I will not ever! Buy another Rocksford Fosgate accessory again. There actual equipment is nice, but there accessories suck. I bought their nice RCA cables and they funked up in the first month, and trust me its no shoty install. This is the second fuse to do this. The end cap has came off, but itself. When you look at the fuse it looks like its fine, not blown. But if you remove the fuse from the block, then you see the cap fall off. I found it by putting a test light on both sides. Then I pulled the fuse. These fuses are not cheap either. Pack of 4 is $40 because the have that weird inside and they are gold plated. I ended up getting a free one at the local audio express because the guy was cool with me. By the way I didnt pay $40 for them either, they gave me a deal back when I bought them.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:06 PM   #11
Bowed

Eddie , personaly I do not like Ecology , they are always picked over . I was describing the yard before them Az auto , you can find some good stuff in there but of course timing is every thing you have to be there when some new stuff comes in to get the pick of best parts . I have seen some good G M fenders in there from time to time , I remember Tom is looking for a pair he might get lucky with them or if he wants to scout around I have seen a lot of perfect G M fenders in yards on the south side . You ask where do I live , I live near Firebird International.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #12
Bowed

QUOTE about ash tray ( I know its something stupid )

I don't think its a stupid idea , in fact now that i see your picture I am going to make one for my 75.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:36 PM   #13
PHOENIX

Ecology also has alot of big sh*t on everything..... tell me it aint true hahhahahhaha
But they did have alot of trucks when I went about a year ago. Alot had good parts. I guess like you said, its all timing no matter where you go.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:04 AM   #14
navybear70
hometown heroes!

You guys are killin' me with all this salvage yard talk! I love 'em, but pickin are slim here on the island. Glad I got an old junky radio though.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:37 AM   #15
1976K5CHALET

Eddie....after 12 years in Phoenix i finally had enough of the same **** and moved to Grand Junction Co. Used to go to Ecology on 27th ave all the time...but was gettin afraid to leave the beast all alone...pretty damn bad. I call phx Northern Mexico nowa days.

Doug W.
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 08:14 PM   #16
Myride

Good score on parts. Man if I there and saw them stealing I would had mess him up bad. But you did the right thing.
Myride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:41 PM   #17
apstguy
LED King

I have always wanted to get another ash tray & cut it larger and put a rubber lip on it so it won't scratch up my cell phone. I have also been thinking about facricating some kind of cup holder. Maybe coming from where the ash tray goes?

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #18
PHOENIX

I placed some rubber inside the tray, but not along the edge I cut. You can kind of tell in the picture, but not real well. I did all the cutting with a 4" grinder. Then I did some hand filing. Once everything was pretty even and the edges were fairly smooth, then I used the 4" grinder again with a wire brush wheel to strip the surfaces and clean the edges. The edges are real clean and I could run my fingers over it all day without a cut. But it would probly scratch up a plastic phone. I know that my phone (Samsung 3500) will it in the tray without ny problems, now that the lip is removed.