The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Clifford69

Drive train issue

Here's my problem: I had my TH350 transmission rebuilt about 3 weeks ago by a local shop, everything was working great until I was driving through Atlanta yesterday and my transmission suffered complete failure (I had to step on the brake otherwise it would roll backwards no matter what gear I was in. A few minutes later it wouldn't budge no matter what gear it was in). About 30 minutes after the transmission failed I noticed that my rear differential was leaking where the drive shaft enters. I have had a few problems dealing with the shop since the tranny crapped out on me and I'm afraid that they're going to say that the rear differential caused the transmission to fail. I did a complete service on my rear end when I redid my bed last summer (June 08) and everything looked great (i.e. no stripped teeth etc.). The truck is still in Atlanta waiting for the shop to pick it up (part of the issue with the shop) so I have not yet had a chance to look at anything yet. So...is it possible that the rear differential could have been totally screwed up by the tranny problem or am I eating all the money I threw into the tranny because the rear differential jacked up the tranny? I know this is totally open ended but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Clifford69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Re: Drive train issue

Without seeing the trans and rear end I wouldn't want to say either way. If the trans was built and installed by them then they should honor it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Don't take this the wrong way....but are you sure the tranny is FUBAR? If you saw gear oil coming out @ the diff yoke- it sounds like you smoked a pinion bearing/seal. This might be causing a disengagement of the the ring and pinion gears in which case your trucky no movey no matter what you do. I'd pop the diff cover and check that before you slap around the tranny shop too much.

Just my $0.02
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I agree with Mr Ding.
A quick check would be to put the truck in gear, and see if the driveshaft and the yoke on the diff are turning. If they are... and the truck isn't moving, then you need a diff. If the shaft won't turn with the tranny, then the problem is internal (assuming you checked the fluid level) and they need to suck it up and repair it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Clifford69

Shop was closed today so no updates, I'll keep you posted. If only my truck could have made it three more weeks...I'm headed to italy with the army so I was going to put it in storage for the next few years. I guess lady luck is not smiling on me.
Clifford69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

well, your tranny went bad while it is still under warranty. In 3 years when you pull it out of storage, the tranny woulda been brand new, and dead, and no warranty.
I say you got lucky.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote