The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

rear end questions

I have a heavy half 1982 c10 chevrolet truck. I just had the transmission rebuilt and replaced and while it was there they did the trans mount and the universal joints too. I still hear what sounds like u joints clunking in the rear of the truck and given the condition of my truck i wouldnt be surprised if there is a problem in my rear end.
I still have yet to crawl under and count bolts on the differential but it is a five lug rim on there ,, so how much of a job is it to rebuild the rear on this kind of thing and what kind of gears do i want for best gas mileage
ive never attempted such a job is there a book i should get or any reading i should do before i attempt such a job?
TIA for replies

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
shadetree

Re: rear end questions

Rebuilding one of these rears is a job for a pro (IMO). Your clunking might be from worn spider gears in the diferential. Those can be replaced without too much trouble. But, I would put up with a whole lot of clunking before getting involved with one of these "salisbury" style rears. They are a "pain in the rear".
Old 03-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

mine a 308 rear i get nice gas mileage and a good response from the truck at take off and as im rolling. as for rear u could rebuild or find another they are dime a dozen. but a junk yard rear or rebuilt with rebuilt u know what u have junkyard its a game of rulett some times you win some time you lose

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

yeah i think im going to have it done professionally ill prolly call the transmission guy again and have it done there

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
zombiescustoms

If you want to make a trip to Maryland I have a 12 bolt out of my 1980 heavy half that is yours if you pick it up, I think it just needs a set of axles, you could use the axles out of your rear, it is an open carrier with 3.73s I think, let me know I'm 2.5 hours from NYC exit 80 off 95 S.
zombiescustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id appreciate that the thing is i wont be able to get there for a little time tho i mean a couple of weeks at the earliest

I hate cancer!!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
zombiescustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
id appreciate that the thing is i wont be able to get there for a little time tho i mean a couple of weeks at the earliest
it will be there whenever you want it!!
zombiescustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i will keep in touch with ya thank you very much

I hate cancer!!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Good morning Bob. I was a Chevy mechanic for 33 years and rear ends, manual transmissions and carbs were what I did most. Rear ends are simple in design and operation, BUT, they are something you don't want to rebuild. At best they can be a real bear to set up correctly. The parts are expensive even if you do it yourself and your going to have to have access to a press to press bearings on and off. If you want you can call me and I'll give you the low down. E-mail me at "jmcclur2@nycap.rr.com" and I'll give you my number. I live up in Saratoga about 30 miles north of Albany. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
blazer2007

I too had a clunk and I was sure was the rearend but a friend told me to check the big bolt on the pinion shaft and sure enough It was a bit loose,put some lock tight on it and tighten it back up and presto no more noise
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Hey Bob: 2.73s have given me great highway mileage (as high as low 20s) with the 305 through either the TH350 or the 700r4. I'm going to make a switch to numerically higher gears later this year, hopefully this spring, so I'll keep in touch.

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

that sounds like a plan Todd...
James i will contact you in a week or so right now i just got swamped with a bunch of stuff to do
blazer i was told that the bearing behind the yoke could also do that by one of my buddies so that is definately something im going to look into too

I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 03-18-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Bob, glad to help out. I used to live in Whitestone so we are kind of neighbors. I'm in Saratoga now. Give me a shout sometime. I'm on disability so I'm home more often than not. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #14
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i havent been to the saratoga area in years im in park slope brooklyn but i have the house in Deposit ( near binghamton) we love it up there but the work is in NYC.. I will definately look ya up tho

I hate cancer!!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:11 AM   #15
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I used to run thru there all the time when I drove for Schneider. I81 out of PA to I88 to nys route 8 up to walmart in Marcie. That was a real milk run. RTE8 is lots of fun especially in the winter when you have a trainee with you, LOLL. We can talk in e-mail, don't want to bore our friends here. jim
Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
justcuz

Lube your splines on the output slip yoke in the transmission. Sounds funny but my transmission shop buddy clued me in to this when my daughters K5 Blazer started to clunk on take off. We removed the driveshaft, put some grease on the inside of the yoke and wa la clunk gone.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote