The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
zane2513

Need some advice

Thinking about putting some headers on this motor while I have room to work. What would be the best headers that would fit? It is a L98 350 we pull out of a Corvette. Also what can I take off this motor, what stuff do I not need? Sure seems to have a lot of extra stuff. Do I need it all. Just now learning about motors, keep in mind I not even 16 yet. Thanks in advanced for any and all advice on this project.
Attached Images

oh and rebuilding my 66' stepside
&
66' Chevy LWB
in my own way!
zane2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Re: Need some advice

Just my opinion, but those manifolds should flow pretty well. They should have 2 1/2" collectors. I would run them unless you want long tubes for the look.

On the header question, try doing a search. Iknow there are a few threads on here with what type headers people are running (with part #'s).

Someone else should be along to help answer your other questions. I know there are a couple of guys on her with TPI setups.

Good luck with it!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
towrecker

Re: Need some advice

well as far as headers hooker headers seem to fit these trucks very well others need a hammer and a crow bar to get them on the hookers are also thicker and have a better sound you know the spiting sound you hear from under the hood ...but the mill you have there should run great like it is i think i would leave it be and run it as is a sleeper for sure if you keep the exhaust quite ,my 400 small block in my wrecker made 561 hp at 5400 rpm with old school ram horn cast manifolds on the dyno i worked them some but not alot 22 inch round mufflers full exhaust its quite and ran a best of 13.62 at bristol drag strip (10,000 lb truck) i broke a drive line in my 65 so ...lets drink beer and look it over ...6-8 beers latter and we were drag racing a wrecker what the hay you know just run what you hauled it with we started something that night it was just a street wars nite just run after run like a test and tune they were drag racing ton trucks with trailers with there drag cars on them 20 + second runs i wish i had pics ...if you go with a auto transmission shoot me a line i have the specs and part numbers to go to a one piece shaft that is bullet proof that mill will snap that factory 2 piece right where the spline of the slip starts i would say i have broke at least 20 over the last 15 years so i found a new way :-)
towrecker is offline   Reply With Quote