The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
rddaves54

Transmission fluid levels

I did a search but could not find out how much transmission fluid goes in a 350 automatic for a 72 Chevy 350. I believe it is 7.5 quarts. I was also wondering if ½ to ¾ of a quart in the torque converter is good enough to start off with. Does the fluid run back and forth through the converter and transmission?

Put the engine and transmission back in today.

I am finally putting it back together. Her are a few pics.

Attached Images

rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
spinning wheels

Re: Transmission fulid levels

I checked the service manual and all it states, is the amount of fluid needed after doing a filter change. It calls for 2 1/2 quarts.

On a web site, it states a bone dry trans and torque converter will require 10 1/2 quarts.

I know the torque converters hold a large amount of fluid.

I would hold off until you get a confirmed amount. The last thing you would want to do is burn up the trans.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Plan on 12 quarts, but it should be more like 10 - 11.
Pourd one full quart in the converter, then lube the snout of the converter with fresh tranny fluid, slip it into place. Spin it as you push it in, it should go in 2 or 3 'notches'.
I always start with 4 quarts before cranking it up. If you put too much in, it'll barf all over the floor.
4 quarts, fire the engine up, move selector through all gears pausing for a moment. Then dump in 4 more. Go through the gears again, pull the stick and check the level. Once it is actually reading on the stick, go 1/2 quart at a time. You do NOT want it on the full line. Just get it above the add a pint line.
If the truck is ready for the street, then take it around the block, maybe 2 or 3 blocks. Don't beat on it, but no need to baby it. Then on level ground with the engine running, pull and wipe the dipstick, and leave it out. Get back in the truck, and go through every selection on the shifter, pausing for 1 to 2 seconds in each selection, and then pause in each one again on the way back up to park. Get the clean dipstick and stap it in and pull it out.
Add more if needed. Even after a real short 'few block' drive, FULL isn't exactly what you are looking for, just make sure it is in the cross hatch area on the stick. Full is for up to full oporating temperature. Like freeway driving, or a few miles of stop and go.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
spinning wheels

Bump. ttt
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

Why bump?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Wilson_

quick question

i am installing a rebuilt motor and a brand new torque converter, i drained the trans pan and installed a new filter and gasket so the trans is pretty dry.
when i installed the converter i put in about 1-2 quarts. how much fluid should i put in the trans when i do the cam break in?

thanks

Northern California Group

Met list: Cyclone, KCJones, TranzAm, extd56, hotrodhomi, mnky30, Rokcrln, Brad, JerryJones, Petey-pablo, 72Subby
Wilson_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

spinning wheels... I saw your other post which explains why you bumped it... so ignore that.
Wilson, I would personally just leave the converter unbolted, and slid back into the tranny. This way you can break in the cam, set your timing and look for engine leaks and not have to worry about getting the tranny level right. It's just 3 bolts, + 4 small ones if the cover is on... but it is WAY worth it in peace of mind. Then, when you get the cam broke in and everything up front is good, when you drain the motor oil and pull the filter, you can hook the converter back up, toss the cover back on, and then go with the 4 quarts in the tranny for initial start with the tranny.
With an empty converter, you are pretty much starting off dry.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Wilson_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
spinning wheels... I saw your other post which explains why you bumped it... so ignore that.
Wilson, I would personally just leave the converter unbolted, and slid back into the tranny. This way you can break in the cam, set your timing and look for engine leaks and not have to worry about getting the tranny level right. It's just 3 bolts, + 4 small ones if the cover is on... but it is WAY worth it in peace of mind. Then, when you get the cam broke in and everything up front is good, when you drain the motor oil and pull the filter, you can hook the converter back up, toss the cover back on, and then go with the 4 quarts in the tranny for initial start with the tranny.
With an empty converter, you are pretty much starting off dry.

ok cool thanks for the quick reply!,
i have the tranny bolted up to the block but i havent bolted up the flex plate to the TC yet, so do i have to unbolt the trans and slide it back or can i leave it bolted up?

about the engine oil, when i picked up the block from the machine shop i asked them about the cam i was going to install,(motha thumpr) and he said with the flat tappet cams they need a comp cams additive and dont change the oil intill I hit 100 miles.

Does that sound right?

Northern California Group

Met list: Cyclone, KCJones, TranzAm, extd56, hotrodhomi, mnky30, Rokcrln, Brad, JerryJones, Petey-pablo, 72Subby
Wilson_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

Re: Transmission fluid levels

no need to unbolt the tranny, just don't bolt up the converter.
The oil thing sounds like bad info. Yes, you need to run an additive, (not just for break in, but all the time with the new oils) but not draining it sounds like cam killin advice to me.