The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

more scraping sounds?

well, the scraping sounds that we thought was the flywheel in this thread, wasnt the flywheel, because it started making the sound again
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
twistedmetal
Take it to the limit

Did you change the starter on this unit at all in the past,i know standard trans starter and auto trans starter are different in length.what about the inspection cover.some were plastic and alot of them got warped from heat and made a scraping noise,when hot or cold.if its a metal cover,check to see if its bent,if you have the plastic one take it off to see if noise goes away or persists.hope this helps.
Quote:
"If Fall Guy only knew how many trucks i've wrecked,He'd be proud"
85 Chev silverado 1/2 ton loaded,daily driver(stolen)
80 chev silverado 1/2 ton farm truck
87 S-jimmy V-8,lowered ,Parting out
49 Chev 1/2 parting out
parting numerous 73-80 chev trucks
01 Polaris edge X (highly modified)
58 NSU Prima scooter awaiting total restoration
twistedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
85 GMC

Did you check the dust sheild behind the rotor ?
85 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
85 GMC

also maybe it could be something rubbing on your driveshaft , what have you done to your truck latley , like lowering , exhuast etc?
85 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eric,

sorry about this new noise. These things will drive you nuts for sure. I still have my popping noise, which I'm just about convienced is loose frame rivets or something close. Just wanted to chime in and let you know, you are not alone with strange noises. These trucks are usually beat or used a lot and thus, things get loose and rattle, pop, squeak and such. I have made it my lifes ambition to find them all and put a stop to it, if it's the last thing I do before I die.

Do you have more info on your noise, as in, where it's coming from and sort of how it sounds? Did it start after you dropped it, or was it there before?

Shoot, I got a noise now which I'm not sure what it is. I think it's exhaust related, but don't know. Then there is the usual dash rattles and such. It's a constant battle with me.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

Swerve: I totally hate those dash rattles/cracking noises too!!

Eric: Could it be something in the suspension? like a ball joint or maybe a bad engine/trans mount?

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:02 AM   #7
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

its coming from the drivers side front suspension area. it started doing it about a week ago or so. the brake shield looks and feels to be in place and secure. the tie-end rod is new and was replace when we dropped the truck. the rubber boot on it isnt full of grease like the old one is though. that could be it, but i've drove it like that since christmas and it just recently started doing it
Old 03-16-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Eric, you say the rotor backing plate is in place and secure, are you SURE its not rubbing on the rotor or something?

you installed a tie rod and never greased it? that'll cause a noise for sure, not to mention wear out your brand new tie rod. get it greased, and while they're under there, have them check for any bends in the shield.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:32 AM   #9
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FaastC10
Eric, you say the rotor backing plate is in place and secure, are you SURE its not rubbing on the rotor or something?

you installed a tie rod and never greased it? that'll cause a noise for sure, not to mention wear out your brand new tie rod. get it greased, and while they're under there, have them check for any bends in the shield.
we did grease it, in the grease zert, but there isnt a lot. in the passanger side tierod end the boot is full of black greasy stuff, but when we filled up the new one on the drivers side, it only filled the thing up on the inside of it, and not in the boot also.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:25 AM   #10
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Okay here's what my junkyard guy told me once. On the front driver side frame rail near where Eric is talking about there is a rivet there on top that works loose. He said to tach weld it back in place and it will fix that noise.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #11
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

Are you sure you don't have a pebble in your dust shield ? Happened to me once. Hell of a scraping sound