The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
BIGRAGU

A/C or no A/C

First of all I have a kind of dumb question. Regarding an A/C cab vs a non A/C cab, with the exception of the obvious extra vents in the dash are there any differences in the cab, particularly in the openings in the firewall? I haven't had a chance to pull the housing off of one of my non A/C pickups to compare yet. I just picked up a nearly rust free cab and it happens to be an A/C cab. I really didn't have any intentions of running A/C. It looks like a huge amount of parts to try to locate and a real puzzle to put togather. I am wondering if I can just bolt the inside and outside housings from my non A/C cab onto the A/C cab? I am putting togather a 1970 Chevy short fleet 4X4. It was originally a C series cab, so 2 wheel drive, so it will be a parts pickup, not all original and #s matching, but that is almost impossible now days anyway. I will eventually get a build thread started if I can figure out how to do it and if anyone has an interest. Thanks in advance for the help. Chris
BIGRAGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: A/C or no A/C

I pirated this off of here years ago...
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
drivethechevy

thanks for putting that picture up longhornman i had been trying to locate it for some time

aside from the 3 vents in the dash that u already mentiond the pic longhornman put up really nails ur quetion on the head really well

i agree with ac parts being alot to collect which is why im ditching the ac for plain old heat

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
BIGRAGU

Thanks for the info. It looks like it should be easy enough to fill the old hole and cut a new one for the non a/c duct.
BIGRAGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Dark Knight

Ya'll are lucky to live up north. Down here in south Texas, A/C is a necessity. It's not that hard to install factory air components in a non-A/C cab. I just ordered new vents and used the templates from Old Air Product's website to cut out the holes. I didn't even modify the firewall. You just gotta punch out an extra hole for the heater core and re-drill some mounting holes for the boxes. And for a real challenge, I had to fabricate my own compressor brackets for my I-6. (that big A-6 compressor is the length of about half of my engine) Everything worked out fine in the end.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 04-02-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
crites_72

I collected all the parts lines 2 compressers i mean everything. then got to looking at my a/c cab and decided it was to far gone. so i am just going to go with good ole heat.