The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Dezdon

What front axle?

Hi All!,
Im working on my 1987 GMC 1/2 4X4, Manuel trans, V-6
I need to replace the left front axle. It broke a yoke. How do I know which front axle I have when I start hunting down the axle and parts?
Also, is there a reference page on this site that shows what transmissions,transfer cases etc.. applications ?
Thanks in advance,
-Dez
Dezdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: What front axle?

Anyone?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
sailed2japan
Jonny

Take a couple pics of the axle and post them up. I'd guess it to be a 10 bolt or dana 44, but that's just guessing.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

In an '87 the stock axle would be a 10-bolt Chevy.....common as you get.

Are you doing this work yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Yup GM 10-bolt front axle.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Dezdon

Not to sound like a knuckel head, but were talking the ten bolts that hold on the diff cover?
Yup, gunna do the axle replacement myself. I have the special socket for the axle shaft retainer nuts (a mechanic friend of mine loaned me it) I also found a cool video showing how to replace the axle.....
The video is just what I am looking for. I just need to to be able to tell the junk yard what axle I have when I start hunting one down.
I also have a question about my locking hub on that axle, it just free spins, it doesnt lock into place, but I'll start another thread on that.
I also mentioned what project I am doing,but cant remember if I posted it here of another chevy forum.
I bought a 1987 GMC 4X4 1/2 ton. W/a manual trans, v-6, 4.3Ltr. and the best of all the truck has a working Fisher snowplow! I got it for $500.00 I live in northern New England, we get lots of snow. I am partialy disabled and used a walk behind snow blower for 5 years.I had a nieghbor who had a tractor and always helped me out on the big storms, but he moved. The last big storm we had, we got almost 2 feet of snow in like 8 hours and it was packed! I got almost all the way done and my foot swelled up like the size of a baseball. I couldnt finish my driveway, AND we had another big storm due in two days. Fortunitly a friend came over and cleaned my drive way for me. I eneded up in the hospital with a infection for four days. I just cant do the snowblower thing anymore. Im an amputee, I have no toes and only half a left foot. I lost them due to meninigits and sepsis in 2001. Blah.. anyways, Im just rambling here.
The truck.... I had no fluid in the master cyl,or clutch resivor,the truck woulndt idle, or start on its own, no clutch or brake pedal, no power steering etc...
I refilled the resivoirs and have a brake pedal. I bled the clutch, I have some pedal, but need to bleed some more. The lack of steering was the front tires were incased in 12"of ice and frozen to the ground. the snow is thawed now and I jacked the tires up to get them out of the mud. I have steering now (I thought the broken yoke had jammed into the steering.
I clean the crud from inside the dist. cap and clean the throttle body. It idles now and the battery is getting charged now (alternator
is putting out 14 volts) Oh, and the snowplow blade was frozen to the ground. The snow plow works great!
Im orginaly from So. Calif, I have never ran across these kinda problems. The rust amazez me! I go to jack the truck up at the frame, and the frame starts curling in buckling. Not good, but typical for here.
Its gunna be just a yard truck, so I dont have to worry about all the legal stuff. We do have state inspections here for vehical condition, but no smog test. (Thank God!) So I have wonderful project truck and so far,am really enjoying working on it. Lots of sucesses. The interior is cherry, but it has the typical body rust. I'd post a picture, but the pix I took are like 4mb, too large to post here.
Sorry for the ramble.
peace,
-Dez
Dezdon is offline   Reply With Quote