The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
pritch

Airbags or static drop? Help me decide

The time has come to decide which way to go. I like the thoughts of airbags, but I'm not sure if I can justify the expense for what I want. I don't want to drop more than a inch or maybe inch and a half in the front and then level it out front to back, and I'm not going to be wanting to be higher and lower all the time. But I do want a better ride. The only option my Panel came with is HD springs front and rear. I don't want to cut my springs, if I go that route I'll get lowering springs, but what kind of ride can I expect with these? And do I need to worry steering geometry only dropping a little bit? Any light shed on the situation would be great.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Airbags or static drop? Help me decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
The time has come to decide which way to go. I like the thoughts of airbags, but I'm not sure if I can justify the expense for what I want. I don't want to drop more than a inch or maybe inch and a half in the front and then level it out front to back, and I'm not going to be wanting to be higher and lower all the time. But I do want a better ride. The only option my Panel came with is HD springs front and rear. I don't want to cut my springs, if I go that route I'll get lowering springs, but what kind of ride can I expect with these? And do I need to worry steering geometry only dropping a little bit? Any light shed on the situation would be great.
If you like your current ride quality, you could swap in drop spindles (w/disc brakes) up front & use the same springs. The rear you could swap in a mild 2" drop spring & a 2" lowering block. This set-up would prob offer 90% of the ride quality of the current ride while being 2.5" lower in front & 4" lower in back (truck would be level).

If you plan to haul or tow anything, skip the drop springs & go straight to bags in the back. You can fill them manually if/when you add a load to keep the costs way down (no tank, comp, valves, electronics req'd for a manual system). The rest of the time, keep a 'standard' amount of air to get the ride height you want (my truck was 30psi @ normal ride height). Ride quality is great w/the bags.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
dirtyd_nd

Scoti, did you have bags in the front too? They previous owner heated the springs to lower my '72. I eventually want a full air system but want to get a better ride while I do the body work. I was wondering if I could replace the springs with bags in the front too.
Thanks
Dale
dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd_nd View Post
Scoti, did you have bags in the front too? They previous owner heated the springs to lower my '72. I eventually want a full air system but want to get a better ride while I do the body work. I was wondering if I could replace the springs with bags in the front too.
Thanks
Dale
I ran the static front (cut 1-coil from the OE springs w/drop spindles) & bagged rear for about 6yrs. Then I took the truck apart to repair the pass side body damage & did add bags to the front as well. Grief over a disassembled vehicle in my driveway forced the termination of the project so I never got it back on the road w/the F/R bags.

That suspension will find it's way to another truck so I'll let you know how it does when it happens. But to answer your question directly, yes you can swap the coils for bags in front.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
pritch

I'm not happy with the mine rides. I want a softer ride, but I know it's never gonna be a Caddy. I don't ever plan to haul or tow anything, except maybe some camping gear. I just can't decide which way to go.
Ol' Green
Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
mycool72

If you only want the drop you spoke about before go static. If you don't like the ride then...well too bad lol its a truck. Bags would be a waste of money for a small drop like that imo.
mycool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycool72 View Post
Bags would be a waste of money for a small drop like that imo.
That's exactly what I'm starting to lean towards. As far as springs-I know that there are several options-I've heard people speak of certain Chevelle springs or from other cars, and vendors here that have drop springs that I assume are specific for our trucks, but are they in general softer than the stock 'HD' springs?
Ol' Green
Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

I would just go for a static bag drop, there are 2 ways I would do it

#1 the cheap way, I would run bags in place of the springs & schrader valves (you can get the valves at your local hardware store) If you dont have any leaks you wont really have to fill them once you get the ride height you want

#2 lil more money but lots better IMO
Get a tank & compressor set up & then get some right height sensing valves off a greyhound bus or a big rig, they have a arm that has a rod attached to the suspension & it will move the arm up & down to open, shut, & dump the valve (you need the dual action valves) That way if you have a passenger or a load in your truck, it will level itself back out all in its own with no electronics

IIRC the valves are somewhere in the $60 range a piece, so they arent super cheep, but still cheaper than electric valves & control setup

Matt

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
mycool72

Let me make this as simple as possible....if you want a crappy ride go cheap. If you want a good ride and a little drop there are quality parts out there that maintain a good ride. I have an 05 with a 4/6 DJM drop and it rides just as it did on the day I drove it home with 4 miles on it. It is obviously lower so it doesn't travel as much but the ride quality is the same to me....keep it simple, get some spindles up front, springs out back...done. If you want a little drop you are wasting time and money messing with bags. Hopefully some 67-72 static guys will chime in. Later.
mycool72 is offline   Reply With Quote