The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Chlsnk

85' 4spd not shifting~!

Well my buddy bought a 85' chevy long bed with 305 and 4 spd tranny he was going to church on easter and it died goin into the parking lot .It fired right back up but wouldn't shift into gear the shifter will move but it just acts like its still in nutreal. I was thinking it could be a shifter linkage that has popped off? has anyone encountered this problem? My dad said he had a f*rd and a old 71' c10 that he would have pull the shifter out and reset the plates inside the tranny from shifting to hard? We are going tommorrow to see if we can help figure out what the problem is. Any input would be appreciated. And yes the hydraulic resivour is full.
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
billnorman

Re: 85' 4spd not shifting~!

Might as well look underneath and find out if the driveshaft is moving. You may have bo-hawged the rear end or an axle.
If it feels like it is going into gear and nothing happens when you let out the clutch, you may have broken an input shaft.
Lot of folks forget to put a pilot bearing in motors that were automatics, and that will snap an input shaft in short order.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Chlsnk

Also the engine and tranny have never been out of the truck according to the origional owner.
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
73chevyman

check the yoke also your toque converter could of took a dump. also to see if its the tranny try grinding it into first if it slips in with no grind tranny gone if grind tranny still good then check the other stuff i mentioned above. also check the rear end it might of went too. good luck. my bet is it's the rear.
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
sierra4x4

The exact same thing happened to me last month. I was wheelin through some deep snow and went to shift from 2nd to 3rd (SM465 trans) and it wouldn't go into 3rd so I tried 2nd but no go. The thing wouldn't shift into any gear but the shifter moved freely in neutral. So I simple pulled out the shifter and all looked good so I stuck it back in and it shifted again and has worked flawless ever since. I think the trans wasn't fully out of 2nd when I tried to shift to 3rd and it jammed becouse their is some slop in it after all it is 35 years old.
sierra4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote