The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
stevewhitmore

Has anyone installed a Gennie shifter

Due to the problems I am having with my sloppy automatic column shifter I am considering a floor shifter made by Gennie Shifter and was just wondering if anyone had installed one. If so, do I need a mid mount or rear mount?
Was the install difficult?
I have a 350TH trans if that makes a difference.
Also have a bench seat
I like the Gennie because it gives the look of an original 4 speed shifter and you get it in different lengths.
Thanks
SW
stevewhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Has anyone installed a Gennie shifter

I know a member who has one in both of his trucks,one`68 shortbed Chevy and one`72 3/4t GMC.The GMC is restored to stock original condition right down to the base truck seat cover and it`s that timeless dark green color.If you look inside you`d assume it was a 4spd.You`d be wrong.The truck has a 383/700r4 drivetrain.One of the coolest trucks I know of,IMO.I`ll see if he pops in.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
lowbucktruck

Have you looked at the Lokar floor shifters as an alternative? They are nice and they have a cable-operated auto floor shifter available, in different lengths.
http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/shifters_knobs.htm

Last edited by lowbucktruck; 04-14-2009 at 02:26 PM.
lowbucktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
cdowns

lobuck beat me to it// dont know about gennie but the lokars mount the shifter mech right on the floor not on the tranny and use of cable to shift makes for an easier tranny removal and install if needed in the future
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Don't waste your money on a Lokar. They can be very finiky and I have had issue where you think it's in one gear and it not be. Also have read a number of stories where the person thought it was in park, go to start the car and it takes off.

YMMV
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
stevewhitmore

I have had Lokar shifters in a few street rods and did not care for them because of the button sticking and uncertainty of gear positioning.
The Lokar I installed mounted to the transmission, not like someone else wrote in
stevewhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
lowbucktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Don't waste your money on a Lokar. They can be very finiky and I have had issue where you think it's in one gear and it not be. Also have read a number of stories where the person thought it was in park, go to start the car and it takes off.

YMMV
Wow, really? That bad, huh? Sorry I mentioned the Lokar then. I've never used a Lokar personally, but a buddy of mine likes them. I had considered getting a Lokar shifter myself for my last project truck, but didn't.

Last edited by lowbucktruck; 04-14-2009 at 04:07 PM.
lowbucktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
see ten
WTB this ad

I put a gennie in the wifes 54. We couldn't use a rear mount due to the bench seat (and the fact my wife is 4' 11"). The mid-mount actually has several different positions that it can be mounted and even then it can be tilted at the base to get your angle "just right". If you've never been over to the HAMB check out www.jalopyjournal.com . I've seen several threads over there debating Lokar vs Gennie. Generally, the Gennie comes out the crowd favorite for multiple reasons hands down. Lot's of guys gripe about Lokars button, which rattles and limits shift knob selection.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote