The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2003, 12:02 AM   #1
pissonNOS

emmisions solution!

The other day me and a buddy were pissin around with a muffler and where we are from you cant run straight pipes! so on the seam on the muffler we carefully took it apart cut the insides out and just stuck a piece of pipe in it now we have straight pipes with the look fo a muffler have been pulled over but they see a muffler and then well what can u do? i thought why could you guys in the states that have emmisions problems do the same thing with your converters would work i think?

Old 03-19-2003, 12:51 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

It wouldn't work since most places that worry bout the verter actually put a sniffer in the tail pipe to measure the polution comming out.
And as for doing that to your muffler...there are many ways for cops to give you exhaust tickets. (at least here in the U.S.)
Altered exhaust.
Loud Exhaust
disturbing the peace
Exsesive noise
I worked in a town as a teen just south of here (grove city for those who are familiar) and they were a real pain about everything. They were actually given a decible meeter and would test the noise coming out of your pipes.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:55 AM   #3
kwmech

Cannot do that with a convertor because of the tailpipe test. The new convertors are real efficient and if it comes up 'dirty' they will make you replace it anyway, but you can run a system with a high flow convertor and no muffler.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:08 AM   #4
pissonNOS

ya see we dont worry bout converters here in alberta so i didnt know what ur stipulations were the truck we did it to was a diesel sounded like **** but wasnt much louder
Old 03-19-2003, 03:46 AM   #5
1969 GMC

One of my ricer friends with a Honda CRX thought it would be a good idea to hollow out the cat to gain more power through improved exhaust flow. It ended up creating a bigger buildup of backpressure that actually dropped his power (it was noticeable).
He already had a Maxwell (coffee can) Muffler on it, so I couldn't notice any sound change.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote