The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
bmfpeterson

paint and body work questions?

I am almost ready to take my truck down to get painted but don't have any idea on what to expect for cost. I had the whole thing media blasted and replaced rockers, cab corners,roll pan and shaved marker lights and the fire wall. I want to do a nice gloss black finish and understand that it shows all. I talked to a local shop I just stopped by that dose a lot of old cars/trucks and he told me his guy was really really good body/paint guy and he estimated $7,000-$8,000. I understand paint is a big factor in the build and want to have a nice paint job but is this what I should expect?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
bmfpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: paint and body work questions?

Paint jobs can range all over the place. It all depends what quality you are looking ofr. My brother in law just had his 69 camaro painted and it cost him 4,000 and it did not include any bodywork strictly paint and it looks like a piano the paint is flawless. He spent 2,000 in body work and shaving the firewall and other areas.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Depends on who's quality specs you're going by.Door gaps,fender gaps and such should be specified.For instance you need in writing the door gaps will be even and with no more than X gap.You need to make sure you get in writing a finish date and penalty if it's not finished.Quite a few people have had their pride and joy in paint jail and can tell you that 7-8 months and you go to get it and they haven't touched it.
Ask for references and look around for paint jobs you like.Then ask who did them.Most shops will quote you a price you just need to be sure they are quoting equal work.Good luck.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
big mike71

If your talking about painting the door jambs, dash and the inside of the cab that sounds cheap.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
71 super

IT also depends on materials used and the area that you live in. Many places will price high just so they don't get the job- money is money right? but insurance is easy money and restores take up bays and man power. My 71 was in body jail for over three years, won't go into details, but 3 different painters worked on it and I ended up doing the majority of the prep work in their shop (they ended up giving me a key to shut me up) and THEN had the audacity to try to charge more money F'in hacks! On top of that they werefriends of mine I thought.... The guy who is doing my 72 currently is top notch and very concerned with his work. I will not disclose the price, but it is money well spent. Moral- you get what you pay for, shop around and get everything in writing.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle

Last edited by 71 super; 04-15-2009 at 08:26 PM.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Elephanthead

$8,000 sounds like a cheap paint job for a truck that is almost ready to prime? I guess I should have been a body man.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
big mike71

Ask them if they will take less if you pay cash it always works because they don't have claim it on they're taxes.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
bmfpeterson

I will look around and see what some other shops say. I know that you get what you pay for and I do want a nice paint job. I hear that on the cash offer thats my style...haha...thanks for the input I will see what I can come up with.

I have only been on this site for a couple months and it has helped me out tremendously I'm building some trailing arms this weekend from one of the write ups done on this site!!

Thanks for the help I'll keep searching
Old 04-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
Ask them if they will take less if you pay cash it always works because they don't have claim it on they're taxes.
If you're taking it to an actual shop and this is how they work, run away very quickly. Anyone willing to take shortcuts regarding their legitimate business, is going to take shortcuts on the quality of their work.

Now if this is some paint guy who will do it on the side, usually not at the shop, then that's a different story.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
Sinisterspeed

when you figure this out.. Let me know. I'm currently in paint jail. Price went from 4500. to 8000. supposed to be a month. now 10 later he hopes to have it done in a couple more months..... get it in writing! Also include what your rights will be if they do not finish on time. Something like you can remove your vehicle at no cost to you if it is not completed by such and such date unless otherwise agreed to in writing...

just my .02 after 4th body shop and 10k later. I am learning the hard way.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build

Last edited by Sinisterspeed; 04-17-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
bmfpeterson

Sinisterspeed,

I have talked to a few more shops all from buddy's that have sent me there way and the most common answer is Why gloss Black.....haha.... I plan on paying right around that $8,000 range. I don't want to but I do want a good looking finish... most shops told me around 3-4 months and I do plan on doing something in writing. the shop that I think I am going to have do it has been around for a long long time and a lot of my family and friends know the guy real well. course what dose that mean right? As far as the time I told him that I know you don't tell a machine shop take you time because it will be there for ever, but the longer it takes the more time I have to stop by every couple of weeks and check on the work and drop off some money. I really only thought it would take about $4500 or so but I have been schooled other wise.......There is a few guys that would paint it for that much but they didn't speak much English.....

What color did you end up having done? any pics of the progress....
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Sinisterspeed

Don't drop off money till its done. IMO. I did that a couple times to. And when I finally got tired of waiting and picked it up a year later i was just out the 2k I had given already.

The color yes Silver and Black. Pics are on my build thread in my sig. Im updating today with some pics with color on the jambs and bed is painted. As soon as photobucket will cooperate anyway.

Good luck on you paint.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote