The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
mbrekke

aftermarket or factory A/C

I'm looking at 3 different trucks for parts for my 3/4 ton 4x4 2 are factory a/c cabs in ok shape, the third has an aftermarket a/c setup but is in very nice shape, is factory a/c worth it or will the aftermarket stuff work
mbrekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
4x4Poet

AFAIK, all the aftermarket A/C kits pull air from inside the cab. They just cool & recirculate exhaled air. No fresh (outside) air intake option.

Factory A/C had a fresh air option. I hope someone can straighten me out on this because I'd like to learn of an aftermarket A/C kit for 67-72 chevy trucks that can pull fresh, healthy air to cool.

The factory R12-based systems should cool better than aftermarket R134 sys by virtue of R12's superiority, but R12 is costly. A pickup cab may not notice any difference compared to a cavernous burb. Tinted windows likely lesson any difference further.

Refurbishing a factory system that's in poor shape or missing pieces can easily cost the same as a new aftermarket sys. Also, a factory A/C system requires an A/C cab for the firewall hole locations. Patch welding on a non-A/C cab' firewall can resolve the difference.

If the price is right, I'd pick up all the factory sys. Variables abound. Its all in what you want.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: aftermarket or factory A/C

I don't have the patience or desire to nickle and dime a 35 year old system to the point that I've got more in it then a could buy a new aftermarket system for( and have a warranty). I've put aftermarket systems in several vehicles (just did one 2 weeks ago). They may not be perfect (but neither were the stockers) but they're an excellent option for vehicles that don't have factory air and owners that don't want to spend months troubleshooting an antiquated stock system.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
big_al_71

I agree with Asa, that is the reason we installed a unit from classic auto air. If fact it cools perfect 37 degrees at the outlet and the temperature outside 82 degrees. I can not run it on high I have to keep it on medium or slow.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Also in agreement. Just not worth trying to cobble together a 40 year AC system. The aftermarket systems also look cleaner under the hood.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
leddzepp

Factory A/C also pulls air from inside the cab (recirc), if the vacuum hoses are routed properly. Pulling air from the outside does not get as cold. When you put the heater on, it pulls air from the outside, and the re-circ vent in the cab closes up.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Around here, its very common to see trucks with factory a/c installed....what is rare is to ask if it cools and the guy sez that it does.
I installed an "Old Air" brand in mine-The in cab part is about the size of a volleyball and the only thing thru the firewall is the H/C and a/c lines.
I love GM factory stuff, but 4o year old a/c stuff is a challange unless you do it right- Break it all down and fix it right, reinstall and have it professionally serviced- JHO, tho
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
cdowns

the new aftermarket systems are much more efficient and rob less power and mpg from your drive train
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
mbrekke

thanks for all the input guys, I think I'm going to buy the cab with the aftermarket a/c system in it its in alot better shape than the other two I was looking at. Is there a brand that i don't want? Anything i should look out for? I am a HVAC/refrigeration service tech so hooking it up and servicing won't be a problem.
mbrekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
tucnnuts
if they can make it so can I!

has anyone tried those universal type from jegs?looks like vintage air stuff kinda...i used the rear air box from a conversion van ...has heater and a/c cores in on box..which also looks like vitage air stuff...not sure how its goin to work , fit good under the dash tho..lol heat works good...no a/c hooked up yet!
tucnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote