The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
oldspowered
resto body guy

what to do...

well as many of you know i have a 71 c-10 super that came with no motor or trans. i have the 1987 chevy truck that has tbi 350 and a 700 overdrive trans. since i have this truck would like to use the stock fuel sender /pump. i would like to move the gas tank under the bed. since i got told my 87 gas tank won't work and don't want to spend over a 100.00 on a tank. so does any body make a tank to suite my needs?

thanks,David
Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: what to do...

use tape measure to measure the hole you want to fill with a tank// take measurements and tape measure with you to junk yard
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
UltraBlue71

I just ordered a kit from LMC, its under 200, and gets the firebomb out of the cab. and am doing the sidemarker light fill mod, you have to do quite a bit of fabrication for the filler but the 21 gallon blazer/sububran tank drops right in!
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
72blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraBlue71 View Post
I just ordered a kit from LMC, its under 200, and gets the firebomb out of the cab. and am doing the sidemarker light fill mod, you have to do quite a bit of fabrication for the filler but the 21 gallon blazer/sububran tank drops right in!
With no trimming? Mine needed to have some trimming on the bed.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Talking Re: what to do...

just bungy cord the 87 tank down to the bed floor....i think it will fit....
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspowered View Post
well as many of you know i have a 71 c-10 super that came with no motor or trans. i have the 1987 chevy truck that has tbi 350 and a 700 overdrive trans. since i have this truck would like to use the stock fuel sender /pump. i would like to move the gas tank under the bed. since i got told my 87 gas tank won't work and don't want to spend over a 100.00 on a tank. so does any body make a tank to suite my needs?

thanks,David
Some of the 3/4 ton trucks, have one or two auxiliary tanks, mounted under the bed. Well actually, they are mounted outside the frame next to the truck's bed. They are known as roman candles in a crash. A few years back, this became a huge news item, as most GM trucks had their tanks mounted outside the frame and could easily be punctured in a wreck. I bet ya, it was someone at F**d getting back at GM for the Pinto bomb stories

Like they said, measure where you want to mount your tank, and got to the local yank and pull wreckers. Start measuring tanks.

I plan on removing my stock behind the seat tank, and my auxiliary tank leaks all over the place. I'm going to measure my wrecked Grand Cherokee and see if it's 20 gallon tank will mount in the spare wheel housing. Nice thing about the Jeep, the filler is on the driver's side and it has a skid plate
Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Here is a solution for you may be and you don't even have to change tanks.
Take factory tank out and have a nipple put in the bottom of it to run to the frame under the truck. Build a square box just big enough to hold the fuel pump out of the other truck. Mount it upunder the cab. put the return line from motor back to it and place a rubber hose feeding it off the orignal tank.
Nothing has to be changed except the orignal tank and everything looks factory.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

ttt

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
oldspowered
resto body guy

i found a new tank on ebay. now for the wiring....
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning wheels View Post
Some of the 3/4 ton trucks, have one or two auxiliary tanks, mounted under the bed. Well actually, they are mounted outside the frame next to the truck's bed. They are known as roman candles in a crash. A few years back, this became a huge news item, as most GM trucks had their tanks mounted outside the frame and could easily be punctured in a wreck. I bet ya, it was someone at F**d getting back at GM for the Pinto bomb stories
Actually NBC got in all kinds of trouble for that lie. Some GM lawyer with a sharp pencil and a good slow-motion video player discovered that NBC rigged their "crashed" truck with a little explosive charge to help the gas tank catch on fire. In slow-mo you could see a little explosion as the truck was being crashed from the side.

The NBC exploding GM truck got all kinds of attention. The retraction did not.

Have you ever seen or lifted one of these add-on tanks? I'm not saying they wouldn't benefit from being inside the frame rails but there is some serious steel used in their construction.

I use my "saddle" tank all the time. My trucks range went from 200 miles to 340 miles. Out east that may not sound that great but when you are up in the mountains elk hunting, it sure beats toting around jerry cans full of gas so you can get back to town after your hunt. I did that once. Trust me it sucks. My buddy's 66 Chevy did not have enough range to get from the last town to the trailhead and back. There was a happy ending however. The last time I went in 2004, his '04 GMC diesel got 22mpg pulling a trailer with FOUR horses. If I wasn't there to see it when he filled up I wouldn't have believed it.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
oldspowered
resto body guy

hmm gets me thinking!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
UltraBlue71

Yeah I had to cut a few inches out of the bed support that ran across the top of where the new tank is, Worth every penny and all the time to get the tank outta the cab along with the fumes! I just hope it fills good, I'm only using one vent and from what I've read on here sometimes that doesnt work!

71 LWB
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote